45 Mariner not starting,help

decoy23

Recruit
1989 mariner won't start.It starts if you jump it across the solenoid and the choke button works but no response from the key.replaced the solenoid and all the fuses are good.please help,I need to go fishing and its not to safe to be in the middle of the lake and be jumping the solenoid to start it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 45 Mariner not starting,help

Using a voltmeter, have someone turn the key to the start position and check if 12 volts is present on the small terminal on the starter solenoid. If not, the ignition switch or wire harness has a problem. Chances are the large harness connector at the engine is loose or has corroded terminals. Disconnect it and clean the terminals as best you can. Using the resistance setting on the meter, have someone hold the key in the start position and check for continuity between the start terminal on the plug and the 12 volt feed terminal. If no continuity, the switch is bad or there is a harness problem. If continuity is observed, connect the harness and try. Hopefully cleaning the connector solved the problem.

decoy23

Recruit

O.K. no power at the solenoid,but if I hook up jumper wires and a switch to the small terminals it should turn over shouldn't it.I tried and it did nothing.Does that mean it could be something like the neutral safety switch?Or is it just the switch? Thanks for the help.

Laddies

Banned

The yellow terminal is the start terminal the other small one is a ground for the solinoid so you jump from the battery side large terminal (RED) to the yellow to engage the starter

decoy23

Recruit

Thank you very much for the info I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world,just trying to save a little money and get back on the water.I will give that a try and that should definetly tell me what is wrong.

decoy23

Recruit

It worked,so I guess now I just need to find starter switch.Thanks alot Laddies and Silvertip.Had I not found you guys I probably would have put the boat away and worked with my dog more.That would of been te end of my fishing season.In a month I don't know how much more fishing I will get to do with early goose season and a new dog and 12 year old son.Those 2 will be chomping at the bit to go hunting.Thanks again and best of luck.

did you ck the swith where you put your key in? see if you are hot at the starter when on lol.