Need Help! Boggs after 2rpms

Brian2009

Cadet
Hello, I have a 3.0 stright 4 iron duke motor 120hp. I have changed the wires, plugs, and points. Engine still shuts down at 2 rmps. Any helpfull tips? I also need to know a couple other things. If anyone can tell me what the gap on the plugs, the gap on the points, and the timing is for this motor? I also need to know the settings for carbs if anyone knows that? I cannot find a book for engine. So, I set everything back to what it was before I changed it and would like to make sure everything is correct. Thank You

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need Help! Boggs after 2rpms

I cannot find a book for engine.

Ayuh,... There should be a Mercruiser factory service manual in the Adults Only section of this forum,...
Course, you didn't really identify the motor's builder...
Generally speakin',...
Plugs at .035...
Points at .016...
Timing 4/6? Btc...
Carb is a turn,+ 1/2 like any other...

Brian2009

Cadet

Thanks for all the info. It is an omc with a gm block. I tried getting into the adult only and think I found it, but when I went to down load everything about the manual and the spec info. it sent me to 4 shared website and the download wouldnt work. I tried it several times. So I am not sure why it wont work. Also, when you said the carb was a turn, + 1/2 do you mean in or backed out? I will try all that tomorrow and get back to you on how it goes. Thanks again

Brian2009

Cadet

Ok, ill try downloading it again. Also, when you said the carb was a turn, + 1/2 do you mean in or backed out?

Brian2009

Cadet

Hello,

I set everything as said. Except the points @ 16. It woundn't start at 16 I even tried 19 and it wouldn't even start at that. So, I uped it till it would start. But, I am not sure what I put it at for it to strat. And all that didnt work, it still will not go past 2 rpms. :mad: I even checked the compression and it is not that cause compression is reading good at 150. Also went and had the propeller checked and it is fine and im already at a 14. So, I was told it can't be that. When I took it out today and stayed out for awhile 1 of the plugs ended up fouling out also. Not exactly sure what from. I am thinking maybe it can be the carbs themselves why it will not go past 2rpms? But, I already cleaned them out so I am not sure. Can that be what it is? Do you or anyone else have any other ideas that I can try? I would like to get the boat running right so my family and I could enjoy it.