84 mercury 115 problems

mercman115

Recruit
Ihave an 84 merc 115 ob idles fun revs fine new plugs water jackets
voltage regulator has flatspot if you throttle hard from dead stop will bog down and die if you throttle really slow it will plane out and go is this a fuel problem a sync problem or a sstator problem my problem is no money to pay for dignosis how do i narrow it down i dont think its the prop 21 p 115 hp 17ft v hull :(

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 mercury 115 problems

Likely a idle mix issue. Open top carb 1/8 turn and retry. Repeat with mid and then lower carbs.

mercman115

Recruit

is there any way at all to get this right on the muffs its about a half hour ride to the water already made alot of waisted trips

daveswaves

Ensign

is there any way at all to get this right on the muffs its about a half hour ride to the water already made alot of waisted trips

Nope, like Chris said, it has to be in the water under load, not in a bucket and not on the muffs. Idle in gear should be less than 1000, 800 is acceptable, 600 is wonderful. Richen up your carbs. Check your WOT RPM when you do get it running, you don,t say what style of prop you have but 21P is getting close to max depending on your boat. These engines do not like to "lug"

mercman115

Recruit

21 p threeblade stainless prop i had it in the river today after i checked the timing pickup timing was 6 degrees out spark advance was on it got a little better after that was adjusted i was able to get it opened up to 5000 rpm
but as soon as i brout it down to an idle and hit it its flat on its face
I tried the mixture screwws from a lightly seated position out one and a half
turns on all three it idols great there but the bottom carb i literally took out the mix screw and reved the motor with no change at all screw in my hand is this normal? I need help six kids minimal funds for repair any body in cinci give me a hand i will trade labor on there house {professional remodeler}the timings on whats my next move?
thanks jason

mercman115

Recruit

if anyone can help narrow this down give me a call 513 535 2675
thanks jason