Correct terminology .... "Motor" or "Engine"?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, this has bugged me for a while so let's see what the rest think is the correct term for an engine/motor. I heard some time many years ago that en "engine" creates it's own power (from gas, diesel, etc.) and a "motor" runs off power such as electricity. I have no idea if that's a correct differenciation or not OR if it applies to the marine stuff.

So, which is it? Is a 350 chevy in a boat an "engine" or a "motor"? What about an outboard? What do the pros call them (marine mechanics, etc.)? I see both used all the time, but I prefer to use the correct terms when talking to someone about my boat.

Brokenjaw

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Correct terminology .... "Motor" or "Engine"?

Well at work we call them the @#$$#@#$%%@!@#$%^&**&^&%$ things...lol

Actually we call I/O and in-board engines, and outboards motors.
There is no rule about that, its just what we do.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Actually we call I/O and in-board engines, and outboards motors.
There is no rule about that, its just what we do.

One definition of motor is "one that imparts motion" (Websters). I seem to recall the rationale behind this is that the outboard is a whole drive system, and thus imparts motion. In other words, an outboard "motor" consists of an "engine" sitting on a lower drive, together they move the boat.

Could be wrong though.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I grew up in the ENGINE business (Caterpillar) and I was taught the same as tmh, an Engine drives, a Motor is driven. Electric Motor, Hydraulic Motor, Air Motor, Diesel Engine, Gasoline Engine. I've concluded that Outboard people are just stupid . . . :eek: But then there is a Steam Engine . . . But those people are really old, so they're kinda stupid too . . .

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Motors are powered (steam, electricity, air,..), Engines are fueled (gas, diesel).

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I grew up in the ENGINE business (Caterpillar) and I was taught the same as tmh, an Engine drives, a Motor is driven. Electric Motor, Hydraulic Motor, Air Motor, Diesel Engine, Gasoline Engine. I've concluded that Outboard people are just stupid . . . :eek: But then there is a Steam Engine . . . But those people are really old, so they're kinda stupid too . . .

By this logic the Ford MOTOR company and General MOTORS are also pretty stupid :eek:. (perhaps thats why GM is in bankruptcy?)

Auberon

Cadet

The big boat I worked on used to have a steam turbine as prime mover, but the room was still called engine room. Motor room would sound stupid on a ship. And it even had an ECR = engine control room. But I can see the reasoning with driven or drive, makes sense to me. On the other hand, the motor in a smart car would be an engine, which also sounds ridiculous (angle grinder would be more appropriate) :D

Auberon

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think in the case of a steam boat, you could still call it an engine, since the steam making equipment is attached, so it really is fueled, making it an engine. A hybrid car has an engine which powers a motor. Without knowing the difference between the words, that last statement would be confusing.

ngoldenm

Cadet

Motors are powered (steam, electricity, air,..), Engines are fueled (gas, diesel).

Ditto. That's the way that I've always heard it denoted in the engineering world.

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lowkey is right:eek:

jkust

Rear Admiral

My Boating skills book explains where boats are concerned the 'motor' refers to the engine and drive together while the engine is just the engine.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think I am going to contradict myself and lowkee on Steam. The only difference between a Steam engine and a Diesel engine, is that a Steam engine is "external" combustion and the Diesel engine is "internal" combustion. I am going with Engine for Steam.

This is why this distinction gets a little stupid even though I have been a stickler about it. All of these devices convert stored energy to mechanical work . . . i.e. fuel to work, electricity to work, compressed air to work etc.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You concluded "outboard people are just stupid"??????. This "stupid" comment does not seem to meet posting forum guideline #5. What you intended and the way it comes across may not be the same.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You concluded "outboard people are just stupid"??????. This "stupid" comment does not seem to meet posting forum guideline #5. What you intended and the way it comes across may not be the same.

Nah...there was no personal attack. Now if he said hey Rollingwanderer, you're stupid...then we'd have a personal attack...not that I would care...I've been called a lot worse by more important people than QC. :D

-rw aka stupid

Is it a personal attack if I attack myself? haha

BTW, I concur with what most have said...i.e. gas, diesel etc are engines, electric etc are motors.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The people who make outboards call them "outboard motors". So I would go with the name used by the industry that manufactures them and continue the age old name of "outboard motor" regardless if it is in conflict with the engineering definitions of engine and motor.

Look up the terms:

- inboard motor
- outboard motor
- motor boat.

Then look up the terms:

- inboard engine
- outboard engine
- engine boat

You won't find as many, if any, hits on these terms.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

saying a motor is powered while an engine is fueled isn't really straight forward either. They both take an energy source and convert it into motion. There really is very little difference between an electric motor and having to put new batteries in, vs a fueled engine that you have to fill up the tank. And then you end up with the fun of a hydrogen fuel celled vehicle. Try classifying that one with that analogy!

QC

Supreme Mariner

It was a yoke dude . . . ;) I actually lust for an E-tec . . .

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I was calling around looking for my first boat with an outboard about a year and a half ago, I called a guy and asked him what horsepower his engine was. He said "Huhhhh...? Oh you mean the MOTOR..."

Ever since then I've called an outboard a motor just to go along with the crowd :rolleyes:

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went thru the online course for the LA Boaters Certificate and they refer to outboards as outboard engines.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

This is what I always go by.

Ever since then I've called an outboard a motor just to go along with the crowd :rolleyes:

I do this too. That way someone doesn't think I am stupid even though I disagree with what they are calling it.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. (To me anyway) Engine or motor, it still gets me out on the water and we have a lot of fun with it!