overpriced estimate?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
I bought an old runabout with what appears to be an early 70's mercury 500, 50hp. As expected the pump didn't work so knowing little about boat motors, I took it into the local shop for an estimate as I wanted it fixed right the 1st time as well as tuning up and changing fluids. I just got the estimate and it was $75 for parts and $700 for labour at 90/hour. It was very vague. Like,, they may have to lift power head to change pump and impeller,,, shouldn't they know? Also quoted that it is an old motor and parts may break when they pull things apart so it could get higher. Does this seem unproffesional and extremly high hours?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
Re: overpriced estimate?

There are only 2 other shops in the area and its a month wait to get an estimate. servise doesn't seem to be a priority around here,, selling a new motor is.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'd wait or find a service center with in a reasonable traveling distance.

Laddies

Banned

Go to the Mercury Marine site and search for service shops and dealers in your area

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow thats spendy! Have you thought of doing it yourself? It's not hard, get yourself a manual and follow the directions, save you tons of money and you'll have the satisfaction of learning something very valuable.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Older motor, maybe saltwater run, possible drive shaft stuck in power head, seized lower unit bolts, seized water pump housing bolts, impeller stuck to drive shaft, leaky lower unit requiring resealing. Then there is the tune-up which could require carb cleaning, link&sync, etc. Sounds like a reasonable "estimate" to me. High - yes! If everything went normally, the actual bill may have been considerably less. Your question should have been is this worst case? How much if you don't run into any problems? Lastly, you need to determine how reliable and fair the shop is.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for your input,, will have to think it over. did some checking around and their reputation isn't that great. telling me its an old motor and things will probably break isn't that reassuring

studlymandingo

Commander

The impeller replacement is really easy. You will need to develop some basic maintainence and repair skills owning an older motor, otherwise there will be many repair shops deep in your pockets. Get a good manual, read it through, do the simple things yourself. The only fluid you will change is going to be the lower unit, it is very simple. Change the plugs, wires, impeller yourself. Do a search on decarb, do this procedure; then see how the motor runs. You can do all of this in an afternoon yourself. You may find this solves many of your troubles, and besides you'll earn the pride of doing it yourself.

phatmanmike

Captain

you have an old motor. bolts break and parts break when you try to take things apart. most shops wont touch anythning that old. be lucky. they must be slow.

get a manual and try it yourself.

quote:" telling me its an old motor and things will probably break isn't that reassuring "

this is very true. try taking a 1972 lincoln towncar to your local ford dealer and ask for a "tune up"

you must be new to baoting. old boat motors have bolts that are rusted, seized, stuck, broken or just plain missing or stripped. its common fact. what they told you was the truth!

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

actually,, i am very mechanical. i have restored antique vehiles and built some older 4x4's. but wanting it done quicker and hopefully right the first time a went the shop route, having no boat motor experience. i just feel that a proper estimate would have been that if all went right it would be x$ amount and if this went wrong it would be y$ amount more,, etc. having such a high estimate and implying that more would break is what didn't seem correct to me

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

dairic said:
actually,, i am very mechanical. i have restored antique vehiles and built some older 4x4's. but wanting it done quicker and hopefully right the first time a went the shop route, having no boat motor experience. i just feel that a proper estimate would have been that if all went right it would be x$ amount and if this went wrong it would be y$ amount more,, etc. having such a high estimate and implying that more would break is what didn't seem correct to me

imo there just covering there asses, sure they could have told you $100 for parts and $250 for labour, and then when they do break the bolts, and stuff is seized up and there halfway through the job they have to tell you its going to be another $50 for more parts, and another $250 for all the extra labour yet at that point the motor is half apart so you have no choice but to spend the extra money or get your motor back in pieces with a huge bill already.....better to have all the facts up front....

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

IMO, the economics of old motors are simple. If you work on it yourself, the cost is parts, and old, even antique, motors can be a great way to boat at an affordable cost.

If you have your maintenance and repair work done in a shop, it's likely to eat you up and you would likely be better off spending more on the front end for a new or newer motor.

Salt versus fresh water is a major variable, even if you do the work yourself, as this will result in parts that are going to be shot and some may be hard to find, such as driveshafts, which were not stainless on earlier Mercs. And disassembly can be darn near impossible.

At $90 per hour for shop time, $50 for the shop manual is a good deal!

Middle ground might be to drop the LU yourself, and take it in to a reputable shop for them to replace the impeller, pressure test and reseal as needed. Bet the estimate would be a lot less. But still makes more sense to do it yourself, seems to me. Just my two cents.

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. Put your itch for boating on the back-burner. Buy an owner's manual. Troubleshoot it yourself. You're right. They should know exactly what's wrong before they quote you an estimate. Reputable mechanics will always quote you an estimate based on their preliminary diagnosis. They may charge you for their time and diagnosis should you decide not to have the work done, but never-the-less, they will provide an estimate up-front. They will also call you to get your permission to fix any unforseen problem that alters their original estimate. Maybe you can pay them to just provide a diagnosis and appropriate recommendations and then take it from there.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

well, this gets even funnier,,, called another shop that was recommended to me by another dealer and a friend. 70$/hr , 1 hr for impeller and 1hr/carb for rebuilds,plus anything extra if things don't go good. a 3 week wait to get in and most parts in stock plus they have used. worth the 60 mile drive.
phoned the overpriced estimate shop. they wanted $540 for doing an estimate !!! after some not so polite talk it dropped to 45$,, half an hour shop time

phatmanmike

Captain

welcome to boating. if you bring them a 2001 motor you get better service and nicer people than a 1972. been there.

get a 30 dollar manual. its all stuff you could do yourself in 1 day for less than 100 dollars, and thats including the manual.