Volvo Penta audible alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know what a beeping audible alarm on a Volvo Penta means? Per the manual a steady beep indicates either low oil pressure or overheating. But in my case it is a beeping alarm that also put the 5.0 EFI in engine protection mode. Putting the engine in neutral clears the beeping alarm and EPM and everything will return back to normal. I do not have overheating or oil pressure issues when it occurs. In my manual there is nothing about beeping alarm only the steady alarm. I also checked and there are no codes stored on the system.

Can someone help me out please? Also can someone direct me to a manual that is more complete with this information?

Thanks.

Re: Volvo Penta audible alarm

I'm experiencing a very similar issue on my Volvo Penta 5.7 EFI. Read my thread and tell me if it's a like problem. I don't have any water temp or low oil issues either.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

I read your post and it is the same exact issue I am having. :mad::confused:

bustermin

Banned

I may be confusing your set-up with another, but did you check the outdrive oil resevoir? When it happens try to disconnect (one at a time) the sensors for the alarm that will let you know which it is.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

The outdrive fluid looks fine. Is there a sensor there that would enable the engine protection mode?

There is no oil resevoir bottle on my Volvo DP-S. The Volvo mech at the dealer where I bought the boat told me over the phone that on the DP-S there is no monitor system that would activate the alarm on that model. If it were a Merc, there would be a bottle resevoir in the engine compartment that could be checked. Because of this I've pretty much ruled out the drive oil being the cause.

I was also told by my dealer that the only way to diagnose the problem and truly find out what is causing the alarm to go off is to plug a Volvo electronics tool into the ECM and see what kind of code comes up. He might be able to do this later in the week he says. My dealer is over an hour away and I dont' want to drag the boat down there. He's supposed to be coming to my marina to deal with another Rinker later in the week so hopefully he will have time to look at mine. Meantime, Ive just been making 5 minute trips to the nearest beach and back! lol

volvomia

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same issue with my 5.0 gxi-B penta. Driving at WOT for about 3-4 minutes will trigger Engine protection mode and 2 beeps alarm will sound. After idling for 10 seconds it will clear. All my gauges show normal operation. I notice my water temperature gauge actualy reading lower then before. I am still searching for an answer

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just looking at the my manual and it lists the the possible issues as...

low oil pressure
low voltage
engine overheat
or lack of exhaust cooling water situation

It also states that it will allow you to run the engine up to 2500 rpm's in protection mode. After you check your oil pressure and water temp gauges, check the crank case for the proper oil level and check the water inlets for obstructions. "If the problem continues, contact your local dealer."

(Pretty much verbatum from the manual.)

ricksboat

Recruit

Does anyone know what a beeping audible alarm on a Volvo Penta means? Per the manual a steady beep indicates either low oil pressure or overheating. But in my case it is a beeping alarm that also put the 5.0 EFI in engine protection mode. Putting the engine in neutral clears the beeping alarm and EPM and everything will return back to normal. I do not have overheating or oil pressure issues when it occurs. In my manual there is nothing about beeping alarm only the steady alarm. I also checked and there are no codes stored on the system.

Can someone help me out please? Also can someone direct me to a manual that is more complete with this information?

Thanks.

Did you resolve your issues? I have a similar problem of whihc my mechanic cannot resolve....thanks

Recruit

I have a 2006 320 Rinker with twin 5.0 VP's. This last summer I experience a very strange electrical issue. It was very random in nature and took hours to resolve. While cruising and generally over 3500 RPM one of the engines would double bell alarm and the RPM's would drop to 3000 and bounce right back. Then if I tried to trim the drive the same issue would happen, but not all the time... Total Gremlin!!! I checked all gauges, RPM, Oil, Heat, Sinc. I check the battery and all negative grounds. I had a computer hooked up to the engine and no faults. Very frustrated! During every boat trip this issue would happen several times. Sometimes causing the engine to back-fire... NOT GOOD!!! Then while cleaning the bildge one day I bumped the RED battery cable leading to the starter... You know where that is right... Very far back lower corner of the engine... Only a monkey can get back there... Well... IT MOVED... Crud... this must be the issue... It turns out that any bump moved the wire and cut power to the engine... AND the trim circuit (50 Amp) on the back of the engine is powered directly to the same source... THE STARTER. The bolt was loose... Like a 1/4 inch. I tightened it up firmly and the Gremlin left the party! I have been trouble free since! So, CHECK your battery cables... This could have sparked a fire if I had fuel line issues! I hope this helps someone out there as I can't be the only one that has had this gremlin... Good luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats 1111.
You need to start a new thread of your own with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.