Clear coat/Gel coat problem.

zeek7pc

Cadet
Hello!

I am new here and absolutely cannot believe how helpful everyone is! Hope someone may help me.

I have an '87 Sea Ray boat I bought used last month. It only had 40 original hours on it, and spent most of it's life in a slip. Here's the problem. The previous owners sprayed clear coat over the faded gel coat. I have removed 90% of the clear coat with a pressure washer (obviously it wasn't sticking very well). There are several spots that the high pressure water won't remove and I'm afraid of sanding it off, I don't want to "over-sand" the exposed gel-coat. Is there some kind of chemical I can use to remove the clear? The original finish polishes beautifully with some 2000 grit paper and a little rubbing compound. Any tips? Thank you!

Zeek

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clear coat/Gel coat problem.

Try some acetone on a rag, depending on what it is, it may come off.

But don't be afraid of doing some sanding to remove it, try some 600 and see what it does.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when sanding with 2000 grit....you are allmost wasting your time....a wool buffing pad on a polisher has the same effect of 1800 grit.....

you can get a little more agressive with it....

follow ondarvrs lead....that should do it.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh......and welcome to i boats !

zeek7pc

Cadet

Thank you very much! By the way, thank you Oops, I spent 4 hours following your hull extension story....Abso-freakin-lutely incredible. Keep up the good work man...

Zeek