1974 2hp rewind starter problem

thomas k

Recruit
hello all, this is my first post here on this forum. i was reffered here by the nice people at duckhunting.net. that being said, my motor is a 1974 evinrude mate 2hp model number 2402e. i am having trouble putting the screw back in that holds the whole assembly together. im wondering if im not tightening it down enough, or if there is something else i may be missing. i wound the spring up very tight and put it in its right place, got the whole thing back together and put the screw in, gave it a twirl and it worked alright, then i put the top back on and i heard the spring go loose. now it doesnt work again!

well i hope i didnt ramble to much, and i hope you can read through my non-technical lingo. thanks for all your help!

-thomas

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 2hp rewind starter problem

You say you wound the spring up very tight. Did you wind it too tight. It has to be tight enough to recoil the cord but not so tight that it comes up solid before getting to the end of a pull. (The workshop manual will tell you how many turns it needs to be wound up)
I hope you have not now broken the spring.

maybe the diagram HERE will help confirm that you assembled it correctly

thomas k

Recruit
Re: 1974 2hp rewind starter problem

thanks for the input, i see you went to alot of trouble to find that page and i really appreciate it. the spring is not broken, thank god, i believe i had the rotations right. its just the screw that holds everything in place. i think i need to crank that down. i had it in there loosely so that it would spin when you pulled the puller. mi believe this was a big mistake.

thanks again

-thomas