fuel pump

vxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what is the best way to test fuel pump to see if it's leaking into oil pan? oil level is rising with fuel . thanks chris

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: fuel pump

if your getting fuel in the oil pan, its the pump. the only other way for it get there would be to go by the rings and you woule be running really really rich.
change the pump and the oil. dont run it with fuel in the oil as 2 times I have seen an engine with gas in the oil have an internal spark and blow all the gaskets out of the engine. one took off a valve cover too.
Also its real hard on the bearings.

havasuboatman

Ensign

if your getting fuel in the oil pan, its the pump. the only other way for it get there would be to go by the rings and you woule be running really really rich.
change the pump and the oil. dont run it with fuel in the oil as 2 times I have seen an engine with gas in the oil have an internal spark and blow all the gaskets out of the engine. one took off a valve cover too.
Also its real hard on the bearings.

You have twice seen engines that have sparked in the oil pan?? In the oil pan? And it blew all the gaskets out of the engine? Blew the valve cover off, even?
Sorry dude, that's not possible. There has to be 3 elements to have combustion. Fuel, easy enough, all engine oil gets polluted with gas, that's the main reason we change it so often. Ignition, nearly impossible in the oil pan, what with all that lubricating oil sloshing around in there. But possible if say a rod was broken and slapping around in there. But without the proper mixture of air, it is impossible to ignite any gas, let alone diluted gas. and there just isn't enough air in the crankcase to burn gas, let alone explode. You could mount a sparkplug in your fuel tank and nothing would happen. NO AIR.
Buy the way, you can't blow all the gaskets out of a motor either, unless these motors of which you speak weren't actually, you know, bolted together, and blowing them up is something you did on purpose. If that is the case, I sincerly apologise

Bifflefan

Commander

You have twice seen engines that have sparked in the oil pan?? In the oil pan? And it blew all the gaskets out of the engine? Blew the valve cover off, even?
Sorry dude, that's not possible. There has to be 3 elements to have combustion. Fuel, easy enough, all engine oil gets polluted with gas, that's the main reason we change it so often. Ignition, nearly impossible in the oil pan, what with all that lubricating oil sloshing around in there. But possible if say a rod was broken and slapping around in there. But without the proper mixture of air, it is impossible to ignite any gas, let alone diluted gas. and there just isn't enough air in the crankcase to burn gas, let alone explode. You could mount a sparkplug in your fuel tank and nothing would happen. NO AIR.
Buy the way, you can't blow all the gaskets out of a motor either, unless these motors of which you speak weren't actually, you know, bolted together, and blowing them up is something you did on purpose. If that is the case, I sincerly apologise

Well i (dont) hate to say your wrong, but your wrong!
It is very possible and it has happened.
as you say it takes, fuel, air and an ignition source.
What do you think there is in any engine.
As for your idea about mounting a spark plug in the fuel tank, DO IT. make sure you have a video camera that is far enough away, and sit in it. Then have your next of kin put the tape on here or you tube. you may win a darwin award.
enough said.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Well i (dont) hate to say your wrong, but your wrong!
It is very possible and it has happened.
as you say it takes, fuel, air and an ignition source.
What do you think there is in any engine.
As for your idea about mounting a spark plug in the fuel tank, DO IT. make sure you have a video camera that is far enough away, and sit in it. Then have your next of kin put the tape on here or you tube. you may win a darwin award.
enough said.

Dude, You are cluless. The air fuel ratio has to be exactly right for gasoline to explode. Almost all of your modern cars have the Electronic fuel pump mounted inside the fuel tank. Know why they don't explode? Not enough air. You are a liar, and know nothing about what it takes to cause an explosion.
How is all that air getting into your engine? Gasoline and air have to be at a vapor saturation point of 15 to 1 just to get gasoline to explode. Do you understand what that means? There has to be 15 times as much air as gasoline. If there is too little gas, or too much air, it's no longer explosive, just flammable. If there is too little air, gasoline wont even burn.
In a closed or sealed space as small as your engines crankcase or a vehicles gas tank. The fuel to air saturation is way too fuel heavy to allow ignition. That's why too much fuel into a cylinder causes misfire (flooding) It's why peoples cars don't explode every time the electronic fuel pump in the fuel tank comes on. It's why the air/fuel mixture in your cylinders has to be compressed, (to get enough air and fuel into the cylinder to be effective. And it's why everyone who reads this or has even the slightest understanding of how engines really work, KNOWS YOU ARE A LIAR. because the only way you could get a engine to explode from gasoline saturated oil is if you pumped highly compressed air into the crankcase and gave it a real healthy jolt of electricity at just the right time.
Even then, you wouldn't "blow all of the gaskets out of the engine". you would blow the car apart, and take out all the windows for a block or two. because just one gallon of gasoline has the explosive power of roughly 15 to 20 sticks of dynamite WHEN MIXED IN EXACTLY THE RIGHT RATIO IN A ENCLOSED OR HIGHLY RESTRICTED AREA. Throw a match in a bucket of gas, and it just burns.
So, quit making up stories trying to sound intellegent. I guarantee you I am not the only person who laughed at your post. I just called you on it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`ve seen 3 in my time, 2 cars and a boat. It does happen,bet on it.

havasuboatman

Ensign

I`ve seen 3 in my time, 2 cars and a boat. It does happen,bet on it.

No offense, but that's not possible. Fuel leaking into the oil to the extent that is forced or leaked past the oil pan gasket, or out the dipstick tube can lead to a very bad fire, no doubt. Even an explosion in a closed boat engine compartment.
but you cannot explode an engine from a spark in the oil pan, No matter how fast the fire seemed, It didn't originate in the pan.
Jesus guys, It's simple physics.
You know what, believe what you want. I'm done.

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't happen. I do not understand why people say "Ihave seen it!" when they really have not. How in the hell is a motor going to blow up from gas in the oil pan? The only thing that will happen is the gas might ruin your engine bearings but I promise it will not explode, LOL.

Maclin

Admiral

The fuel does not flow into the oil from the bottom unexposed, it sprays into the crankcase under some pressure above the oil. I would not bet against this small amount of fuel and vapor being able to ignite and act like a spark plug for the rest of the oil/fuel mix. In my opinion there are just enough stories with evidence to support it being a real though very rare event.