Evinrude 1990 120HP stalling when warm

dbdsaltydog

Cadet
My Engine seems like it is starving for gas after it has run for about 20 minutes. I noticed the bulb in the fuel line was caving in so i replaced that and the inline filter but i still have the problem w/out the bulb caving. Is this a carb issue or over heating issue. The buzzer in the dash is staying on with or without the engine running...thank you!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 1990 120HP stalling when warm

caving bulb, is a 99% sign that the fuel tank vent is closed or clogged. fuel restriction issue. pump cannot suck fuel out of a vacuum.

dbdsaltydog

Cadet

caving bulb, is a 99% sign that the fuel tank vent is closed or clogged. fuel restriction issue. pump cannot suck fuel out of a vacuum.

thank you tashasdaddy for your reply! I had already replaced the vent at then end of the fuel line vent hose. when i took the old one off it appeared to be more than what i replaced it with. should there be more than just a vent on that hose?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

can you blow air thru the vent line? you also could have a clogged pickup in the fuel tank. what ever the problem it is before the primer bulb.

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem with my boat. If it is an built in tank, you might want to check the anti siphon to see if it is getting stuck.

dbdsaltydog

Cadet

I had the same problem with my boat. If it is an built in tank, you might want to check the anti siphon to see if it is getting stuck.

thank you 115johnson78! this is my first ob motor and it is a built in tank. i replaced the vent and i believe the old one included the anti siphon??? would it not run properly without the anti siphon???

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the anti siphon is located in fuel tank sender. in between there and the motor. mine runs just fine. it is use so that a hose pops loose the fuel stops. it is for saftey. you can remove and if it solves prob. the replace with a new one. your welcome.

dbdsaltydog

Cadet

can you blow air thru the vent line? you also could have a clogged pickup in the fuel tank. what ever the problem it is before the primer bulb.

thank you tashas daddy! not sure if i can blow air through the line but i replaced the old vent on the vent line with a new one and i believe the old one was an anti siphon vent. the one i replaced it with does not. do you think that could create the problem?

dbdsaltydog

Cadet

After a year and hundreds of dollars trying to solve my issue it appears to have been two issues. The first was trash in the tank causing the bulb to cave but once that was resolved i still had the stalling issue. I finally found a mechanic to ride with me and he found a lose ground coming from the power pack. It would appear this was causing the intermittent stalling. Unfortunately I did't catch it in time and it caused it to burn up but problem has been resolved!:) I purchased the part on-line and installed it myself which was surprisingly easy!

JoeyD84

Recruit

Thank you so much for stating your fix. I have been reading through these for a while now and people never come back and tell you the cause, you just know they fixed it because they disappeared.