How many deck braces do I use on my stringers? See photo.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I am getting ready to put in my new stringers. New resin was just ordered and is on its way. In the meantime I have a problem.

The old stringers were mostly rotted out. I was able to get a good pattern off them except for the position of the wood that gets screwed in perpendicular. I do not know what they are called but I will name them "cross braces-things". :lol:

The one I was able to locate is 3 1/2 foot from the rear of the hull. Looking at the rotted remains of the longest stringer, 11 ft., there must have been a couple more of them.

My questions are how many more do I install and what is the best distance apart?

This is a boat 14 foot long and the widest point of the deck would be 4 foot 5 inches.

The ply I am using for the deck is in 5 X 4 foot sections. The deck will be made up three sections of ply.

thanks. :)

Attachments

• stringers.JPG
    stringers.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How many deck braces do I use on my stringers? See photo.

2 or 3 of the "cross bace things" :D will be fine. Your boat is a modified tri hull that essentially has 3 keels .....supprot all three and 2 cross braces.... the decking will tie everything together. Keep in mind there should be drain holes to allow water to reach the back of the boat in the bilge. You might want to install small piecs of pvc to keep the drainage open.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

You might want to install small piecs of pvc to keep the drainage open.

Thanks.

Can you provide a link to a picture that shows how that is done?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

there are two spots on the hull that causes water to well up. both are at the extreme left and right sides of the hull. No way to drain them unless the boat has the bow tipped down. I plan on putting clean outs at those two points.