anyone gone thru the c&d canal from maryland to delaware?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looking at maybe going thru the c&d canal from the maryland side to the delaware side. Anything to watch out for? Also trying to get a feel for how much fuel i'll burn and time was. AT cruise i average 23 mph with a fuel burn rate of 14 gallons an hour

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: anyone gone thru the c&d canal from maryland to delaware?

Nothing special to beware of although take charts and follow the buoys. It is (in my opinion) difficult to see the entrance to the canal if you have not done it before. It is quite a ways further than you think, from, for example, Turkey point. The mouth of the canal can be rough but I have done it in a 15 footer. Once in the canal proper, the water is relatively calm. No speed limit except at the marina near the midpoint. I seem to remember that the canal can be run in about one hour at about 20 MPH.

Halfway through, you can refuel at the old Shaeffers marina. Just before the exit to the delaware river, there is a small but deep channel on the port side that will lead to a marina in Delaware City. However, if travelling north up the Delaware, beware of the submerged dike surroundig the flats at Delaware City. For this reason, it is best to take the creek back out to the canal rather than risk the flats and dike if you continue past Delaware City.

Good charts will show it and be a great help.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on your vessel's height and the height of the tide, you may not be able to get under the bridge on the side channel leading to Delaware City. I always go entirely through the canal, on to the Delaware River and then on to Delaware City. Just after Shaeffer's, you'll find Summit North Marina where you can eat, get fuel and slip. I'm not aware of any real hazards to navigation but keep your VHF radio on so that you can monitor the Canal dispatcher because sometimes they close the Canal to all traffic. Where is you final port of call when you pass through? Freelancer.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no final port.. Were going down to the chesapeake bay july1st thru july5th.We just like to look around and try to go to places we haven't been to yet.

skargo

Banned

I haven't run it yet, but am planning on doing it soon, maybe we'll even see you up there while you are here.
Any plans to come over to the Northeast or Susquehanna rivers?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

planning on going to the northeast fire works. How about u?

skargo

Banned

It's a possibility!