Almost sunk one this weekend . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess this is kind of a warning . . . Also a reminder to simply pay attention!!

We were at a beach on Lake Mead with pretty steep banks. I have a friend who has a '06 236 SSi Chaparral. We have noted previously that the boat takes on some water when beached bow high. I assumed originally that it was coming in through the hull deck joint at the step. With a molded in step the joint drops to just above the waterline.

We were sitting on the beach and noticed his bilge pump cycling and pumping a lot of water out. There were about three other boat owners suggesting to my less-than-mechanically-inclined friend that he needed to check it out . . . :rolleyes: He said, "oh I know what that is, it comes in through the step mounted ice chest and drains right into the bilge." And he sort of waived us off. A couple of us whispered to each other, "that is not OK, that thing is really pumping." But we had spent a while trying to convince him that it was not OK like that, and the bilge pump was keeping up with it. So we got distracted, sandwiches etc.

So maybe an hour later his boat had slid off the beach some and the line was slack at his bow stake, beach anchor thing, so he decided to reset it. I just noticed that he had backed off the beach and was putting her back on. When he throttled some to stick her, the bow rose way past where it was before and the angle of the entire boat was way higher, and she was also listing to starboard. :eek: Luckily, two of us watched this whole thing and it just didn't look right at all. I look over and the entire swimstep is under water now, and I can't see any water coming out of the bilge pump outlet. By this time the other guy watching was sounding the alarm and I started to freak because I thought the pump was dead, so I went for my hand pump. By the time I got back to his boat it was clear that the pump was working and what I had seen was a different drain, buuuuuut the actual bilge pump outlet was now completely underwater. He had now opened up the engine hatch and the entire bilge was full of water as high as the top of the belts but below the top of the dipstick guide. Holy crap. So he goes to start it and I stop him as I was worried about the water etc. Then a couple of us grabbed the bow and pushed her off and got the step above the waterline. Sat there for about an hour for the pump to take care of it.

What happened apparently was basically a vicious cycle. There were some people on the step and the water apparently was coming in faster now than the pump could keep up. The water got so high that the opening seen in the pic for the engine hatch (two hinges) was now underwater and the water just started pouring in. I honestly think another few minutes and we would've lost her.

4sfqjp.jpg

I crawled all over her, and checked fluids over and over. The power steering pump reservoir seems to be the only victim so far. There was a little condensation on the engine dipstick, but no discoloration of the oil after running her. I will have to stay after him to get the power steering flushed as he will leave it, he just does not understand that although it still works it is not right!!! Funny guy, and I honestly feel I did the entire boating community a disservice by introducing him to boating, but that is simply water over the transom now . . .

Oh, BTW, yes, that little thing in the ice chest well is a plug. And yes, we said, "hey you need a plug", and he never mentioned through this whole deal that it already has one. He just doesn't use it . . . OMG!!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Almost sunk one this weekend . . .

At least someone was paying attention.:)

The "I have a plug, just don't use it", would fit right in at stupid human tricks.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Good title?.. "Plug?, we don't need no stink'n plug!.!.!"

drpeeb

Cadet

I have a similar friend; He's worse than a person who doesn't give a d@mn about preventative maintenance ... He doesn't even give a d@mn enough to do the repair once the damage has been done. Instead he just complains about it & drinks beer.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a similar friend; He's worse than a person who doesn't give a d@mn about preventative maintenance ... He doesn't even give a d@mn enough to do the repair once the damage has been done. Instead he just complains about it & drinks beer.

I think we know the same guy:confused::rolleyes::eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Funny side note . . . He kept telling us that it was coming from the ice chest drain. I got it, as I had seen the ice chest before and they couldn't see it from the beach. It took forever to explain to the other two guys that, no, even the knucklehead was not attributing all of this water to ice melting . . . The other two kept saying "trust me, what's coming out of that pump is not from the ice." That whole exchange may have made the situation worse as he was sort of smug about the fact he knew where it was coming from. Somehow, knowing and doing something about it were not connected . . . :rolleyes:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Funny side note . . . He kept telling us that it was coming from the ice chest drain. . . . :rolleyes:

I'd have had to ask...with that much ice, where do think the beer is at?:eek:

I might need a bigger cooler:rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think my guy is worse, he simply does not understand this stuff at all . . .

He put his trailer on wrong last season (unloaded) and it jumped off the ball at the launch parking area. It tripped the emergency brake cable thing. Loaded the boat and dragged it home 260 miles and then back another 260. Basically drove it 520 miles with the brakes stuck on. If it was me, I'd have blown a tire in the middle of the desert. Somehow, he got it all of the way. Literally soot and crap all over both hubs and all four bearings were toast as well as the brake linings and the tires were melting at the beads. Very costly, and I still have no idea how he didn't feel it. Amazing!!!

Yes, I have previously told him to check his hubs for heat at each stop, but why should he? They weren't hot last time . . .

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW we WOW!

Luck was on your side.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why any manufacturer would dump drain water into a bilge is beyond me. :confused:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Especially a drain from an open top tank that is outside of the hull :confused: I know, let's catch some water from the outside and route it to the inside . . . Say what?

That's why I said this is a warning. I am probably going to write to Chap as this is just dumb the more I think of it. So is the hinge/cover design. You could argue recall as waves over the step will cause the same vicious cycle. Essssscchhhhhttoooooooopid!!!!

drpeeb

Cadet

Why any manufacturer would dump drain water into a bilge is beyond me. :confused:

I think I know.

I think we can agree the fewer holes in your boat, the better, right?

So, if they don't drain it into the bilge, where else would they have it go? That's right, through another hole in your boat= Less desirable.

Edit: I missed that it's outside the boat already! Sorry 'bout that. I think I would simply not drain that little spot.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can't fix stupid.

hazwild

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More money than brains.Dangerous combo

QC

Supreme Mariner

I missed that it's outside the boat already!
Well . . . I think the biggest problem is that it's really inside the hull, but outside the highest point of freeboard. Generally a problem with molded in swimsteps. Heck, I think that swimstep is probably one of the nicest features of this boat. It's pretty, harmonious, big and very usefull . . . But the hull to deck joint must go all of the way around at very close to the waterline. Therein lies the core problem IMHO.

332qw78.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I think I know.

I think we can agree the fewer holes in your boat, the better, right?

No one can ever accused me of being a holeaphobic. :D

I have two raw water intakes and two thru-hull transdcer below the water line. Two cockpit scuppers at the water line and five overboard drains and two bilge pump drains above the water line. Only the drains on my cup holders are routed to the bilge. :)

You can dump 5 gallon buckets of water on my deck all day long and you might find a wet spot in the bilge if some splashed into a cup holder.

When you take one over the bow and have 700-800 gallons of water in the cockpit the last thing you want to worry about is a bilge pump malfunction. ;)

drpeeb

Cadet

Well . . . I think the biggest problem is that it's really inside the hull, but outside the highest point of freeboard. Generally a problem with molded in swimsteps. Heck, I think that swimstep is probably one of the nicest features of this boat. It's pretty, harmonious, big and very usefull . . . But the hull to deck joint must go all of the way around at very close to the waterline. Therein lies the core problem IMHO.

My Cobalt 226 has a swim platform, & it's one of the most awesome things about the boat! Everybody gathers there, dips there feet,, or gets on in and uses it to hold their drink, etc. ... However, mine is separate & below the hull, so no leaks, need for a drain, etc.

And ... dingbat you have a lot of holes in your boat!!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

boats like that are just not designed for boating. I see all kinds of safety and seaworthiness issues the more "stylish" the boat is. Like the dropped bow on the searaybayliners like a big scoop going into an unscuppered deck. Low transoms and openings in them. And the ice chest well at the waterline outside the hull??!! it's all the Titantic school of boat design: there won't be any problems because we made them perfect!

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

The "design" of the boat in question is an accident waiting to happen.

Not seaworthy at all.

Glad everyone is ok.