Southeastern PA

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Southeastern PA

thanks for the offer but with our limited experience it's prolly not a good idea. funny tho, we have a very good friend who has a 30+ foot sailboat at a marina in HDG has been encouraging us to bring her down and try the water.

who knows? maybe...

I bought our boat last fall, and have been to the bay 5-6 times from Valley Forge. Takes less than 90 minutes. If you have a GPS once you are there it's easy, channels are very well marked. I took the coast guard course over the winter and if you passed that you will have no problems. I am more relaxed there than on the river here because I have a chart for the bay. You can PM me if you have any questions. In fact I'm going there today.

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm fairly new to boating in this region and have only been on the Delaware. I launch in NJ either in Pennsauken (free but not as nice and not as much parking) or in National Park (nice ramp, but charge for parking and farther from me). Follow channel markers and you're fine. In Philly area a lot of what is outside the channel is safe at high tide, but check charts and watch your depth gauge because at low tide there are plenty of shallow spots that come up quick.

Anyone know of good spots to do water sports on the Delaware?

pfunk42

Cadet

I'm looking for a little info about the accessible areas of the Schuylkill for boating (skiiing, etc).

I know there's a ramp near 422/Betzwood but above it was recommended to not launch there. Is it really that bad? It would seem that would give you access to the area along Port Indian if you could launch there.

Are there any other ramps that can get you to the Port Indian section? I know there's one between Port Indian Rd. and Schuylkill Ave but is that private? If it's private how is it controlled? Is it only accessible to local homeowners or is there some sort of membership?

If Betzwood is worth staying away from and the Port Indian ramp is private, are there any other methods to get onto that section of river?

I understand there's also a public ramp near Black Rock Rd./113. How is this section for boating? (safety/depth/width/etc). It appears it's bound by the power plant on the northern end and another damn on the southern from imagery.

Are there any other usable sections of the river in that area? Phoenixville/Norristown/Conshohocken or so.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I'm looking for a little info about the accessible areas of the Schuylkill for boating (skiiing, etc).

I know there's a ramp near 422/Betzwood but above it was recommended to not launch there. Is it really that bad? It would seem that would give you access to the area along Port Indian if you could launch there.
I launched there many years ago when I had a 15' outboard. The depths can vary significantly depending on river flow. The day we went, the 'channel' (if that's what you want to call it) was VERY shallow and rocky. The prop got damaged pretty badly but we were able to tour the area around Port Indian, where the depths were OK. That day was very busy with other boat traffic and we were almost involved in a collision. All in all, I didn't think it was worth the risk and never went there again.

Are there any other ramps that can get you to the Port Indian section? I know there's one between Port Indian Rd. and Schuylkill Ave but is that private? If it's private how is it controlled? Is it only accessible to local homeowners or is there some sort of membership?

If Betzwood is worth staying away from and the Port Indian ramp is private, are there any other methods to get onto that section of river?
I know there's a ramp in Norristown at the park off Haws Ave, but don't have any other information about it- other than there's a low-head dam just downstream! I'm not even sure if this section of the river is navigatable to Port Indian.

I understand there's also a public ramp near Black Rock Rd./113. How is this section for boating? (safety/depth/width/etc). It appears it's bound by the power plant on the northern end and another damn on the southern from imagery.
Yes, been there many times. It's only 2 or 3 miles long- and fairly narrow- but is a good area for skiing as long as it's not busy. The ramp is primitive but works for a small boat. We used to go there during the week and often had the place to ourselves. If you stay downstream from the power plant and 20' off the shorelines the depths are fine almost up to the dam.

Are there any other usable sections of the river in that area? Phoenixville/Norristown/Conshohocken or so.

There's a boatable section of river just south of Conshohocken, near the Belmont exit of the expressway. I've never gone there but knew some people that did. There's a nice boat/ski club just off River Road in this section.

I'd suggest you go down there and ask the locals for some additional info.
Good luck!

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Betzwood ramp is fine for something under 16-18 foot stay just left of center going downstream to the old bridge foundation. It has two sets of markers ( going downstream first set is left of center, second is right of center) stay between them. down stream from that you are good to the Island then stay right but do not go to the second bridge. there is an old water intake just 50 feet upstream and about 12-18 inches below the surface. upstream from the island it's pretty shallow for 100-150 feet but it's great for achoring and letting the kids play all the way to the island.
As far as the ramp in Norristown, I've never used it but I know people that have launched a 33' formula there and coming upstream stay just right on center until you are 200'+ past the island.
The private ramp that you see on Schuykill ave is owned by the boat club and I think there is a waiting list just to be a member.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Seems like I was at a Ramp between Chester and the Airport, but I haven't been able to find it again. I remember it being kinda nice, but not where exactly it was and it hasn't been the kind of neighborhood that I want to drag a trailer through unnecessarily. Narrow, unfamiliar Roads.
But, If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Right on the Delaware river? There's a public ramp directly under the Commodore Barry Bridge- and it's in a bad neighborhood.

Maybe you're thinking of the ramp on Darby Creek, near John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge. You can easily see it from I-95 just south of the airport. Gotta go thru a couple neighborhoods, but they don't seem too bad.

HappierWet

I don't know. I was a kid when I was there. But, it seemed like it was on the river. Next time I'm down that way I'll have to check the wildlife refuge. Thanks
BTW What about private ramps?

HappierWet

sorry double post please delete

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander

Old thread, but I thought I'd update it since we FINALLY tried the Delaware today! My wife pushed me to try it today (not sure why I was/am so intimidated by the river - maybe it's the currents & tides). Regardless, we left out of Neshaminy State Park and went a couple miles down the river before turning back due to rain clouds rolling in. We were definitely happy for trying it and look forward to trying the river again soon.

After some engine trouble today, I'm REALLY ready for a newer boat and a slip on the river!

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for Lake Wallenpaupack...it's a huge lake (13+ miles long) with islands that have public picnic tables, charcoal grills and porta potties. There are a bunch of coves and marinas too. Some restraunts have boat docks so you can boat to them and have dinner. 4th of july has a fireworks show over the lake......amazing watching them from the lake...night boating is not for the timid though. Our place is on the river that feeds the lake, it's a nice 30ish minute no wake boat drive one way...very peacefull, there is also a nice swimming spot on the river before the first bridge at ledgedale...also a launch there.
Party cove is one of our favorate spots!! On holiday weekends they have a floating band!!! Check the pics!

http://paupackpartycove.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=57

travbl

Seaman

Where is party cove located? This will be our second trip to wallenpaupack. We went last year and only stayed for 2 days, staying for the entire week starting saturday and looking for different places to explore and hang out. Thanks for your help. We are staying right by the boat house restaurant right on the lake.