Shift throttle controller omc

MRS

Commander
I need to change out the throttle control box has anyone switched theres that takes the omc type 479 cables? If not is it hard to switch to the 33-c type cables that seems to be what all the control boxes I find take thanks for any advice...... (86 4.3 Cobra)

MRS

Commander
Re: Shift throttle controller omc

OK I unhooked the shift cable from the controller and it works real smooth the throttle cable still hooked up works smooth. The shift cable is 10ft. cannot see the size of throttle cable but looks to be a foot longer the shift cable seems to be alittle short for the turn it makes to connect this is a new old boat to me and the control box looks like someone has already been in it. I am going to buy a new shift cable a foot longer do you think I am on the right track or should I look else where?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I can't recall what type of cable you need at the engine end of the shift cable but you can buy cables that are 33C at one end and OMC at the other so there will be no problem buying a new control box. The throttle will use 33C for bothends.

You are on the right track for the length of the shift cable. make sure you tie it up into place so it deosn't move around while you shift. Any lost motion in the shift cable makes it tougher to adjust the Cobra shift linkage.

MRS

Commander

Bruceb, Thanks for reply the cable was just kind of hanging in the air where it turns the corner. I will try the longer cable so that I can brace it up and see if that cures the tuff shifting problems. If not will look into changing control box I did order from i-boats and it was lower priced that anywhere else I looked. Should be here Friday

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Getting rid of the "lost motion" is critical with the Cobra. This includes making sure the the shift cable from the control box is zip tied up so it doesn't move. Also, make sure where the cable attaches at the control box doesn't move at all. If it takes a couple of stainless washers put in where the cotter pin is to take up any slop, it is worth it as well.

MRS

Commander

bruceb, will do and will update when cable installed Thanks again.

MRS

Commander

update control box was bad found n.o.s. box it is on the way. changed shift cable but the transom cable is also bad so it is on the way plus lower gasket kit. Plus oil is leaking I think from shift shaft area gasket kit should have the parts to fix this also plus found the tool to ajust the shift shaft. I have a family trip in two weeks so hopefully I can get it done by then.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Plus oil is leaking I think from shift shaft area gasket kit should have the parts to fix this also plus found the tool to adjust the shift shaft.
The shift shaft has no oil seals so not sure what that would be. The lower shift cable basically goes down a tube to the sterndrive where it hooks up to a bell crank. No seals in that area because there is no oil in that area. I am curious what you are getting as an adjustment tool. If its the tool that holds the bellcrank at the proper angle, that is a good tool to have.

MRS

Commander

bruceb, I had the drive tilted up and it started leaking oil from the front at the lower unit right where the anode is looks like it is leaking from were the shifting rod is at in the lower unit. I have to pull when my parts all get here anyway the tool I ordered is to ajust the shift rod height I am looking for the other tool but cannot find yet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well...that's not good. Obviously there is a seal leaking somewhere and the oil is traveling to that point. You are going to have some more work to do now and this may be beyond your abilities. Will need to do a pressure test on the drive first.

MRS

Commander

will put a pressure tester together tonight and test will 10psi do it? I had a merc-120 I had to change the seals on the shift shaft before and thats why I think this is probably leaking on this omc unit. Thanks so far for the advice.

MRS

Commander

OK gave a pressure test I thought it was leaking at the shifting shaft area before test. It lost pressure instantly I srayed with water with a little soap in it and it did foam up at the area were the shift shaft is that is the only area that it foamed up at. I will take the drive unit off this weekend and pressure test the lower unit again by it self. I am still waiting for my controller and cables to get here hopefully they will get here tomorrow. I do want to know something though why does everybody tell you to pressure test your unit before you take it off when you know that it is leaking in the first place and needs to be repaired? I am not trying to be a smart A** but there must be a reason for it. Thanks again for any and all help..................

MRS

Commander

OK I changed the control box and the throttle and shift cable works smooth but when I hook up to linkage with transom cable not so smooth so that tells me it should be the transom cable right? I did buy the transom cable also so will change Friday and also check on leak in lower unit I will try to pull drive unit tomorrow and pressure test lower unit. I am reading manual again about transom cable but still alittle confused but maybe when I see how the cable is hooked up at the transom it will seem clear. Any thing special to watch for when I pull unit off? I did all the repair work on my old merc out drive but omc is way different than the merc Thanks again for any help...

MRS

Commander

OK pulled the unit pressure tested lower unit it is the shift shaft leaking I am cleaning everything up now. It is missing the o ring so I want to flush out the lower unit what is the best way to do this and what should I use? I have all the parts to fix just want to clean out real good first. Thanks for any advice.....

MRS

Commander

Thanks will do I have some here I am trying to get this fixed so I can get back to doing the transom shift cable Thanks again.

MRS

Commander

I more thing what grease for ujoints Thanks.

MRS

Commander

What grease for upper ujoints Thank You

MRS

Commander

sorry for the last two messages the kids got on my computer thought they were helping. Any how has anybody had to put the o-ring on the shift shaft cover I cannot get it to stay on and when I did pull the cover it did not have one on.

MRS

Commander
Re:(UPDATE) Shift throttle controller omc

Re:(UPDATE) Shift throttle controller omc

YAHOOOOOO, everything working great fixed shift shaft leak. Changed all cables throttle control box ,water impeller shifts like butter. Plus had to fix stripped threads on the pivot housing now on to cleaning up and summer boating this is my New old boat Thanks for all help........