Another Gimbal Bearing/ Alignment ??

zsites

Cadet
So i have read about how you need an engine alignment tool when replacing the gimbal bearing. BUT, if I do not have one and am curious just to try, (as i already did), and just sit the drive back in the housing and it will bolt together with very little effort to get it in place, What is the purpose of the tool?? And will I damage anything?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another Gimbal Bearing/ Alignment ??

Its not the replacing of the gimbal bearing per se that requires you to need the alignment tool although it does help in getting the bearing at the right angle within its carrier. Its the alignment of the engine to the drive that is critical. Since you have the drive off, now is the time to check it. If it gets off, you will wear the coupler with will cost you a few hundred dollars for the part and the cost of removing the engine to replace it.

I pull my drive every year and check the alignment every time so its not like you are only going to use the tool this one time. $50 or so on Ebay gets you one!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If the alignment is almost perfect, the drive should slide on by hand to within 1/8 - 3/16 of a inch.Pushing ,slamming, kicking, front bumper are to be avoided.It should be checked once a season. The coupler destroys itself silently.Removing the drive is recommended to do the maint also.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

My experience is that this is critical.

I replaced my gimbal bearing and did not allign it.

The drive was difficult to get on , but I ignored it.

The universals on the driveshaft became nound up and deflected into the surrounding meal pieces, scouring them badly. I managed to replace one, and fix the other.

Insert the allignment tool, then tap lightly around the perimiter with light light hammer blows unitl the allignment tool slides effortlessly into the coupler. adjust the rear mounts if necessary. Then have a very very easy experience putting the drive back on because everything is mated up perfectly.

Chay

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Insert the allignment tool, then tap lightly around the perimiter with light light hammer blows unitl the allignment tool slides effortlessly into the coupler. adjust the rear mounts if necessary.

You adjust the FRONT motor mounts! I also would not be doing any tapping with a hammer at all.

michaeli84

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its not the replacing of the gimbal bearing per se that requires you to need the alignment tool although it does help in getting the bearing at the right angle within its carrier. Its the alignment of the engine to the drive that is critical. Since you have the drive off, now is the time to check it. If it gets off, you will wear the coupler with will cost you a few hundred dollars for the part and the cost of removing the engine to replace it.

I pull my drive every year and check the alignment every time so its not like you are only going to use the tool this one time. $50 or so on Ebay gets you one!

hey bruce its micheali9 i put a new motor in my boat recently as you probably already know however i slid the motor on and turned it manualy until that splined pice slid right in and i bolted the motor down in the same holes am i taking a big risk by not aligning the gimbal or no i was gonna go for a ride on saturday

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Might as well get 1 or 2 rides ,before the coupler goes bad and your pulling the motor again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

am i taking a big risk by not aligning the gimbal or no i was gonna go for a ride on saturday
You will probably be taking the motor out again soon if you don't! Other than that...no risk! :)

michaeli84

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Might as well get 1 or 2 rides ,before the coupler goes bad and your pulling the motor again.

ok i took your guys advice and called a boat mechanic and told him i need a gimbal alignment, he said bring it on down so i pull in and he says you have the outdrive on already and the motor is in you should be fine than he said i would have never got the engine on if it was not aligned. what should i do? It did go on pretty easy but i DO NOT want to take this motor out again. do i trust this guy or not its the same motor in the same place how bad do you think it can be. thank you for any advice.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You don't have to pull the engine again to do the alignment. But, you do have to pull the drive. If the boat is still at the shop, have the guy do the alignment.

michaeli84

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You don't have to pull the engine again to do the alignment. But, you do have to pull the drive. If the boat is still at the shop, have the guy do the alignment.

i know i dont have to pull the motor to do the alignment i ment if i didnt i dont want to strip out the gimbal. Anyway the guy had me take the boat home now im worried man i dont want to ruin anything ive been working hard to get this boat on the water and im so close i think im gonna call him and have him do it anyway thank you.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

if he didnt want to do it in the first place i would be inclined to find some else

rember close only counts in horse shoes and handgrenads

your drive and motor alinement is neither

jaybob275

Cadet

Having just done a gimbal replacement which entailed pulling the motor too, I would highly recommend getting the tool on ebay for 50 bux and doing the alignment. When we were aligning the motor and gimbal we thought it was close enough but then we looked at the instructions and ended up lifting the front of the motor 4 turns and the alignment tool actually fit in a lot smoother and pulled out nicely.

Do it right or you will be kicking yourself in the *** on back end. If you have the tool you can easily do it in an afternoon. Change the outdrive fluid while ur at it. Pull the outdrive off. Jam the alignment tool in there and see if it fits very comfortably. Make sure it is in there all the way, check the gimbal bearing while ur up in there.

JBI

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

Insert or start, and tap on alignment bar to center new gimble bearing to your engine,that is not alignment.Rear mounts set height, can not be adjusted and front,can be adjusted, sets its level to the transom, rear mounts.