drivebelt?

jblaney

Recruit
i need help. there is blue like smoke coming out from down in behind the motor.it is locked up and wont go forward.the lower unit has been rebuilt and is fine.replased gears in it. had the upperunit reworked also. my friend told me the drive belt was bad and the motor would have to be pulled. it is 89 rinker chevy v6 175 hp in board with omc cobra outdrive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: drivebelt?

No such thing as a "drive belt" on the back of the engine. Like Gary mentioned, you probably have a bad coupler.

o-jay

Cadet

Lighten up guys. If he knew all this stuff, he probably wouldn't be on here asking questions.

There is a coupler on the flywheel on the back of the engine. It's basically a splined sleeve that your outdrive shaft fits into. The sleeve is joined to the coupler housing by a big rubber hub, so that if something bad happens, there's a weak link between your engine and outdrive (plus some other dynamic stuff, too). When they go bad, the two metal parts spin on the rubber, which makes blue smoke that smells like a tire burn-out.

The down side is you do have to pull the motor to get to it, which means you're going to have to pull the outdrive too. You can find a coupler really easy on e-bay, so price it there before you buy it from a marine shop or part store -they'll kill you on it.

While you've got the engine out, it would be a good time to check a bunch of other stuff like driveshaft, gimbal bearing, bellows, lower shift cable, plus all kinds of clean-up things.

Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

While you've got the engine out, it would be a good time to check a bunch of other stuff like

Ayuh,.... Like just how Rotten the Transom,+ Stringers are,.....

Rot is probably the #1 reason for loss of alignment,+ the consequent Blown couplers...

o-jay

Cadet

True enough. But that raises another issue, the original post mentions having some outdrive work done, and that now it's locked up. It might be worthwhile to investigate that question while you're at it. If somebody worked on the outdrive and didn't get it put back together right and it locked up, could contribute to the coupler failure.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Lighten up guys. If he knew all this stuff, he probably wouldn't be on here asking questions.

Where do you see that we need to "lighten up"...?
Were we rude? No...

He started 2 threads with the same question and was given the answer...
Someone with only 7 posts to his name needs not to tell us to lighten up or anything else....:rolleyes:

Have a good day!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

True enough. But that raises another issue, the original post mentions having some outdrive work done, and that now it's locked up. It might be worthwhile to investigate that question while you're at it. If somebody worked on the outdrive and didn't get it put back together right and it locked up, could contribute to the coupler failure.
He may think its locked up becuase it won't go into gear but it is actually the coupler that failed. I really doubt both happened at the exact same time but it is possible I guess.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Where do you see that we need to "lighten up"...?
Were we rude? No...

He started 2 threads with the same question and was given the answer...
Someone with only 7 posts to his name needs not to tell us to lighten up or anything else....:rolleyes:

Have a good day!

You must be one of those internet tough guys. If I had you infront of me right now I'd...................Thank you for your time and effort helping boaters you don't know and most likely will never meet over the internet.

James

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You must be one of those internet tough guys. If I had you infront of me right now I'd...................Thank you for your time and effort helping boaters you don't know and most likely will never meet over the internet.

James

Whatever....thats your opinion...and you know what they say about opinions..:rolleyes:

He asked a question..he got the answer and a link to the part and what it looks like..
So......that makes me the bad guy huh?

Looks like your the one tossing threats out and that will not be tolerated..
Forum rules.....read them...

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Whatever....thats your opinion...and you know what they say about opinions..:rolleyes:

He asked a question..he got the answer and a link to the part and what it looks like..
So......that makes me the bad guy huh?

Looks like your the one tossing threats out and that will not be tolerated..
Forum rules.....read them...

Sometimes my sense of humor is a little off, no threat there, thought I was making a joke. If I had you in front of me...... I'd thank you for your time and effort.....

Sorry if I came across wrong, nothing but respact here for 6000+ posts of helping people with their boats.

My appologies,

James

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Sometimes my sense of humor is a little off, no threat there, thought I was making a joke. If I had you in front of me...... I'd thank you for your time and effort.....

Sorry if I came across wrong, nothing but respact here for 6000+ posts of helping people with their boats.

My appologies,

James

Thanks James......sometimes i have no sense of humor...
No need to apologize :)

The original poster has not been back..
I guess he figured out the problem anyways.