Which prop is better?

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which prop is better?

cold here 12 it went to -5 or so last night can't see why i sick it been up and down all winter here

Ron G

Commander

They canceled my tourney,to cold and ice :(The weathers been the same here in the low70 then down in the 20,D howed like the race?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The race itself was OK, just don't know what got into Tony S???? And I question NASCAR's decision to let the 48 race after they got caught cheating. Big Bill wouldn't have stood for that for a second. Bill Jr probably wouldn't have allowed it since this is the 6th or 7th time they got caught but Brian doesn't have the backbone to stand up to Hendricks. Or anybody really.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

canceled my tourny as well, same ice/snow. HOWEVER, I had a mission this weekend and Sunday morning I was there in 20 degree weather with a helmet in hand. <br /> Boat no start, gas fouled plugs again....somehow....I wasn't all that upset..lol.<br /> All the hoses froze at the house, can't get muffs on it.<br /> I'm thinking I may be able to do some testing in, maybe, July?

Ron G

Commander

Supoose to warm back up a little this weekend were going to try it again sunday.Ya brownie i was sorta glad too i dont mind the fishing its that long run that gets me.are you fouling alot of plugs?<br /> D looks like letting them race after being caught is going to open up a can of worms later on,weres it going to stop.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

25p Trophy. Propshaft 1.5" below pad. Good water pressure.<br /> 5,600rpm, 62mph, sort of stable. Trim to get to 63 and things get wild. Holeshot decent.<br /><br /> 27p Trohy. same setup. <br /> 5,200rpm, 64mph, stable. Trim to get to 65 and it's all over with. Holeshot? (it just sort of eases up on plane). I can count to 10 and look down I'm running 50mph, but, I could sip coffee through the launch and not spill a drop.<br /><br /> The 27 Trophy changed things a bit. Boat does not "feel" like it's standing up with nose to the sky and running on the pad. It's pretty level and, there is not much "triming" to be done between launch and 64mph. A little, but, not much.<br /> <br /> Couple of other noteable things: <br />1.) I could seem to "hang on" to the boat with the 27p while it was chine walking. I could not keep it from massively rocking back and forth, and if I saw this boat coming toward me like this...I'd poop my pants. (It was all over the place). Interestingly though, it never lost speed. And I hung with it at least a mile. Bad enough rocking that it felt like the front of each side of the hull was hitting the water. GPS clung to 64mph.<br /><br />2.) Notice this is the 1st post I mentioned holeshot. This is not because the 27p was considerably slower (that was expected). <br /> I mention it because I may need to start thinking about 0-60 instead of top speed. Seems I may be wasting my time trying to get this boat to run a smooth speed above 60mph, and, the rpm's still aren't where they need to be.<br /><br />Trying a 24p four blade Yamaha prop in the morning. Smaller diameter. <br />This may not be a good test though. It's a small hub prop. Only trying it because I was told it was being run on a 200hp Yamaha. Not sure what the outcome will be. Looks like my exhaust is going to go over it and through it.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know just sort of eases up on plane are you slipping are overpowering the prop, mine i set the gas back on top end two people in it still do over 55 but 5600 rpm not running full out limited. i hope my prop fixed i get full power,mine has vented prop best is both i got wing thing's that force air around prop to, if spelling bad no glases on seeing fuzzy

Ron G

Commander

I think your rpm are still to low,the 24 pitch should be better,If ya can beat them out of the hole and still run high 60 ,now your doing good imo,Mine was like that too real sluggest coming out of the hole the guys here recomended a turbo2 and now it shoots me out of the hole like a raceboat and im in the mid 60.

Ron G

Commander

And one more thing the more you drive it at that speed the more your getting use to it.One more thing thats a pretty light boat isnt it?you tryed not trimming up as much?maybe keeping the bow down more will help at that speed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 27 sounds like it carring the boat better rather than you having to carry the boat with trim. <br /><br />Have you considered playing with height with the 27? If so, you're at the point now that a small change will make a big difference. Maybe as little as 1/4" at a time.<br /><br />Just be real careful with those things. Those Trophy's scare me.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

4 blade, yamaha prop, small hub, 13"ish diameter, 24pitch. There is a holeshot... bout like the 25's (if that much). 6000rpm/63mph. Controllable stable. 64mph and it's all over with. Bow rise with trim "seems" about right.<br />Small hub (looks like a prop designed for a smaller lower unit).<br /> Hmmm?? Wonder where to go from here? I was thinking the Yamaha 3blade 25" and raise the motor some more.<br /> That 27" sure is boring out of the hole...

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

27 Tempest 3blade, 5200rpm/64mph/no hole shot.<br />25 Tempest 3blade, 5600rpm/62mph/some hole shot.<br />25 Yamaha M 3blade,5300rpm/61mph/decent hole.<br />24 Yamaha 4blade, 6000rpm/63mph/some hole shot.<br /><br />Any faster on any prop and things get wild in a hurry.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You're compiling some impressive testing data.<br /><br />As much as the Trophy worries me, I'd try some small changes in X dimension with the 27.<br /><br />Very nice job!

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Anytime I say Trophy, I mean Tempest (I know, I know...BIG DIFFERENCE, but, I've got so many brands and names swimming around in my head...)<br /> I have TWO Tempests (25p and a 27p). Those are the two I've been testing. Just accidentally called them Trophys.<br /> <br /> Here's another.<br />27p Yamaha M series/3 blade. looks like it's been re-worked. With it on there, boat has somehwhat of a holeshot which really suprised me. 5500rpm/63mph stable...sort of... <br /> It acts like the Yamaha 25p 3blade...You don't reach an easily stable speed and then "cross that line". With the Yamaha 3blade props, it's more of a "gray area" where the boat begins to swing (I'd say dance, but, it's not..It's an all out SWING back and forth).<br /> With the Tempests, and that 24p Yamaha 4 blade...There is a definate line you can easily stop at to keep the boat stable.<br /> (odd how the boat pulls that RPM with that Yamaha 27p also??...or seems it to me?)<br /> One more note: The Yamaha 27p BEST, although only for a second, was 66mph/5600rpm...I stopped and changed my pants and didn't do it again..lol.<br /><br /> Dh and Walleye....I hate to say it, but, I like the way that small hub 24, 4 blade works...seems like it's got a big slip number though. Is that because my exhaust is blowing around it? Smaller diameter? Prop a bit "off"? (1.86 gear ratio/6000rpm/63mph).<br /> I'm hearing three blade/three blade...but, what if I used a 24 or 26p four blade with the correct size hub for my lower unit? OR, what about a high five? (I probably know the answer to that though..."try it"...lol.)

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

brownies i liked reading this on prop testing what is the best prop 3 blade or 4 blade with a jack plate I know it better be ss if moving the prop when running try alum it just messes up the guy in marine place said blow out he knew the boat he said ss was way to go how about compsite prop did any testing there.

Ron G

Commander

Why would he do that gregg?<br />Brownie those are some good test runs and info there.i think your on the right track i would try the y27 again and do some small height adjustments at this stage an 1/8"can make all the difference in the world.Like i said early this is a very good thread.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

composite prop I had one on my old boat it had lower power I just wanted to know if any here or any one tried them, Ron G your right why go from thing that work's his 27 work's good it all new to me I had comp prop was 4 blade it was smother but slower but better fuel mileage my new boat had 4 blade ss I was hoping to learn from here on stuff I don't know about I know if you run on rock's a composite is what you want on it brake's instead of lower unit. simple rock's and boat's don't mix good

Ron G

Commander

I dont know that much myself,but i learn something new here everday theres alot of wisdom here at iboats.ya gota watch them stumps too.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

As of my last post, Compared to the other props, I liked the all round "characteristics" of that 4 blade yamaha 24" prop best.<br /> That was with propshaft 1.5" below pad.<br />Friday, I raised the motor to .5" above and left the 4 blade on it.<br /> Tested and adjusted down until I had good water pressure. Boat still running right on the edge, and sure have to pay attention not to go "too far" and have to stop and start all over again due to chine walk. It felt better than the other props, but, still had the feeling that "this just isn't RIGHT".<br /> Friday night, I started thinking......My jack plate is manual adjust and "what??" is keeping it "true"??<br /> If you raise/lower it, stands to reason that one side could creep up a bit higher than the other. <br /> I took the trouble light outside and checked it. Sure enough, Bolts on one side were almost 1/4" higher than the other. That would come out to the prop being "how far?" off on one side!!!<br /> I dropped the motor down to 3/4" below the pad and worked with the jackplate until motor was mounted directly square in the jackplate. OR, until the front half of the jack plate and the rear half were true with each other.<br /><br /> Sat morning tournament...and there is nothing like "going fishing" to get good test results. For some reason it's better than just "test runs".<br /><br /> Result four blade prop 6200rpm/63mph and it felt good. Stable. Easy to control. It felt more "right" than any other test run.<br /> I guess I'm too high with the motor, increase rpm, but, no increase in speed....boat handles MUCH better though, so, I left it.<br /> <br /> Went fishing Sunday and put the 3 blade Tempest 25" prop back on.<br /> BOAT IS STABLE and runs great, 5800rpm/66mph. <br />BEST was 67mph and it didn't get out of hand, I could have stayed with it awhile had I not hit a duck...lol.<br /><br /> I think getting the jack plate square made the difference. When raising or lowering it, one side would be just a little bit about the other. Just a little in this area was causing the propshaft to be off to one side about half inch to one inch. With the motor setting at a slight angle on the transom.<br /> I don't see how any manual adjust jackplate would be any different. Just something to think about?