Changing Gears With Stern Drive Off

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to replace both water pumps so I removed my Alpha I stern drives. I have had trouble shifting the port engine through the gears as the roller moves off center when going from N-R or N-F.

With the drives off and the gear in F, can I shift the gears while adjusting the allen screw in the gimbel housing before replacing cable?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Changing Gears With Stern Drive Off

I have had trouble shifting the port engine through the gears as the roller moves off center when going from N-R or N-F.

Ayuh,... Are you talking about the Shift Interupt Switch,....It Shouldn't be movng at All, going Into gear...
Only when coming OUT of gear,+ only In the water...

Forget about Adjusting whatever you're talking about,+ Replace the lower shift cables...

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the shift interrupt switch is moving off center. I have my drives off and just wanted to see if I can adjust the lower shift cable from the Gimbal Housing. I bought a new cable if I can't adjust it. I was referring to moving the remote control into F - N - R with the drives out to test then back to F to re-install the drive.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Unless the slide is hanging up, it soounds like you do need shift cables.
The final adjusting is a lot easier with new cables.There are NO adjustments in the slide /setscrew area.Download manual 6 from the adults section for shift cable instructions on installation.

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

K - Will do. Thanks.

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class

wait ... 6. HOW TO: Winterize your engine and drive ? ? ?

ziggy

Admiral

#6 that you'll find in post #9, service manuals..