Project "Cheap Bass Asstroglass"

kevco

Cadet
Well last Wednesday was a little sad for me. I sold my beloved classic Baja ski boat :( I needed some thing a little more practical for the wife, kids and me. I love to fish so it seemed to me I needed a bass boat. I had heard that my wife's great uncle was wanting to sell his bass boat, but it hadn't been in the water in years and was in pretty bad shape. I decided to make the hour long trip and check it out. It was pretty rough all the carpet and seats were sun rotted. The tires were rotted and the lower unit was off. Short (wife's great uncle) said he figured the trailer was worth $250 and that's what he'd take for whole thing since the trailer was about the only thing worth taking. The transom seemed solid, he had all the parts to put the lower unit back together,and I anit gettin' any younger. So money exchanged hands and I had my first project boat. A trip to Wally World for a couple of new tires and lights and I was ready for the 50 mile trip back home. I'm glad I put a safety strap on the bow as the winch strap was rotten and broke on the way home, but I got her here with out and major problems. So here she is as I got her. 1983 Astroglass 175 w/ 90hp Johnson.
PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Project "Cheap Bass Asstroglass"

great project..looks like she wont need tooooo much

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Heck you did fine. You will have a good rig once you get it all back together again.

kevco

Cadet

First off I've never refurbished a boat, but I've done a few hot rods and been tinkering and fixing things since I was a kid. I started by striping everything out of the boat and seeing what I had to work with. The floors were solid as is the transom. It took the biggest part of the day to get that done, but I did get to get started on the carpet. I got the front casting deck done.
PICT0016.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

I'll add more pics as I get more done. I picked up a repair manual so I can start putting the lower unit back together. I've got a '77 model Evinrude 85hp sitting on a stand in the garage that I traded for last year. I fired it up on muffs before I took it off the boat it was on and it sounded strong. So it mat end up on it.:cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Congrats! Looking good so far!

Personally, if it were my boat, I'd trade the Evinrude and the Johnson for a nice, reliable 150hp outboard (or whatever the max HP rating is for that boat.)

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you did really good on your choice to buy that boat you got a good deal. My only question is how you checked the transom. Mine seemed really strong also but I drilled a hole in it to check and this is what I found.

IMG00043.JPG

It was so rotted on the bottom half that I do not know how the engine stayed on. If I was you I would check the transom buy drilling a hole in it and looking at what comes out. You can always fill the hole back in with something.

kevco

Cadet

My only question is how you checked the transom.

I went over it with a soft faced dead-blow hammer. I got a good solid hit everywhere I tried. The Glasstron that the 85hp come off of would nearly take the hammer out of your hand it bounced so bad. A guy at a boat yard showed me the hammer trick a few years ago when I was shopping for my first boat.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

So...solid wood bounces the hammer, and mush doesn't? I've forgotten where Kermit is in Tejas...north, south, east, west, central?

redfury

Commander

Heck, for 250 you are 10x further ahead than some of us are...I paid 300 for just the hull of my boat!

kevco

Cadet

So...solid wood bounces the hammer, and mush doesn't? I've forgotten where Kermit is in Tejas...north, south, east, west, central?
No, the other way around. Solid wood will not flex so you get a solid thud. A dead blow hammer is filled with shot and is designed not to bounce. Rotten wood on the other hand will flex and try to spring the hammer back at you.

Southwest. About 45 miles south of Odessa/Midland.

kevco

Cadet

Well I've got to work some on the boat the last 2 days. The carpet is almost complete ( I will post pics tomorrow ). I did find one soft spot in the corner of the floor so I replaced it (sorry forgot to take pics while I was doing it and its covered with carpet now :redface:) hopefully tomorrow I'll finish the carpet and maybe get started buffing the paint.

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good work man will be looking forward to seeing those pics.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great small project boat and a heck of a deal on it. Keep the pics comming.

kevco

Cadet

Got the carpet finished and the motor painted this weekend.
PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0011-1.jpg

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

You do very fast work, looks exellent!!!

Auh... how about some details of what you painted the motor with & how you painted the motor, did you take it apart, prime?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Lookin' good! Keep up the great work!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great!

I don't know about painting an Evinrude black. Something just not right about that.....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Nice job Kev..

250 for just the " good " trailer.. heck the Engine and troll motor is worth more then that LOL !.

Once again..Ol' Yd's gonna throw a monkey at ya.. That port fwd hatch.. welp..the piano hinge is about 1/4 off center. Hope you didnt want the resale value of that junker.. :)

Good job prepping the motor m8..

Yd.