Merc 130 Now only clicks.

greenerob

Cadet
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

I read through this thread. I was hoping that someone could give me a little more guidance with me issue. Here is the skinny.

I tried to start the boat a week ago. It clicked once and didn't start. This happened a few times before it finally started.

On wednesday I got it into the water and the same thing happened. I tapped it with a hammer and it still clicked. Finally i got it to start. I ran it for awhile and when I came in to the dock I turned it off. After a returned with the trailer the start VERY weakly tried to turn and then quit. Now it does nothing but click.

Any suggestions?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 130 Now only clicks.

What are you tapping with the hammer?
starter?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have good clean tight connections, good battery, good cables, both positve and negative and power to the starter solenoids yellow/red wire, remove the starter and have it checked out at your local starter/alternator shop.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If the clicking is coming from the solenoid mounted on the starter, then it might need rebuilding at a local starter repair place. Check all battery cable connections first especially where the neg cable is connected

greenerob

Cadet

Well, the click comes from the soleniod mounted on the starter. I bypassed the slave solenoid and it still just clicked. Looks like I need a new starter. Hopefully this one isn't a bear to got off.

greenerob

Cadet

Is was the starter. Luckily I was able to pull it and replace it myself.