Idiot new boater hall of fame

bandman72

Cadet
Re: Idiot new boater hall of fame

First time out with my 12' aluminum of a 15hp Force. I found out the hard way I should have changed the impellar (didn't even know what that was). Had the wife and kids with me. Got about 300 yards from the launch when the motor siezed. Luckily I had put the oars in. Rowed all the way back with my 9 year old singing "row row row your boat." Funny now, contemplated prison at the time.....

SoTexGuero

Cadet

Mistakes are usually made when you are in a hurry. I know the feeling though, something new and you just have to get out on the water. Don't beat yourself up to bad, the mechanic will tell you if there is anything wrong, but it sounds like you might be okay. Good luck, be safe. It probably would not hurt to get with someone who has there own boat to go through your new one with you, go through the safety features and even go out with you the first time. Have a great summer.

"wanttofly"....I recently purchase my Capri and took it out last weekend for about 1-2 hours (basically cruising due to intense crowds and large chop) and after loading it onto the trailer, I noticed a fair amount of water drained after removing the plug. Since we have practically the same boat, do you get a considerable amount of water out of your boat after running it? My hull seems to be in excellent shape, not cracks or other problems I can visually see. (btw...nice boat in your avatar)

BF

Lieutenant

sounds like your mental healing is well underway.... you just gave the kids a story to share with each other... someday when you're all together one of them will say, "do you remember when we got the boat and Dad almost sunk us??" Congrat's... you're well on the way to being "a character".

Nothin' wrong with being a newbie.... but there are mucho more serious mistakes that you can make than the one you did. My personal pet peeve is people who don't know how to handle a boat, and have no realization that the propeller should be viewed as being a really bad ***** meat grinder that also happens to push a boat.... I've seen people back up to kids/swimmers in the water... how the little ones didn't get hurt/killed is beyond me. When you've got people on tubes or swimming on the water you need to be VERY conscious of what you're doing so people don't get hurt. Turn off the engine when anyone in the water is anywhere near the rear of the boat... having it running in neutral isn't good enough (if someone or a pet mistakenly bumps the lever... the meat grinder is on). The other thing newbies often don't realize at first, is there are no brakes on a boat.... you've got to use reverse when coming along side the dock, otherwise you run into it (or other boats etc).... but... this is usually more of a gel-coat scratching type of learning lesson, rather than hospital-learning. :)

Good luck!... This summer will be stuff of memories for your crew!

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think I fried the starter because the engine fires right up and idles nice. If there is water in the oil, what is remedy for that?

If it looks like coffee w/ cream change it and the filter. Run for a couple minutes on muffs. Check and keep changing if need be. 3 changes should get it all if needed. Starter could still rust on you' hopefully knot.

BTW I keep my boat at my house and always start it on muffs before we head to the water. Always good to know things are working before going through the launch hassle. As others have noted first trip of the year, or if you think you might have issues, is not the time to have guests on board. I've already been out this year but am in the middle of repairing a soft spot in the deck. If we go out before I have it fixed, 14" x 26" opening over the gas tank at the moment, it will just be immediate family. The last thing I need is my kids friends telling their parents about the "big hole in the boat and how they had to step around the gas tank".

lukec

Cadet

I'm trying not be in the "Idiot hall of Fame". that's why I took my boat to a mechanic to give a "once over".

brnewbie

Cadet

I'm trying not be in the "Idiot hall of Fame". that's why I took my boat to a mechanic to give a "once over".

Yeah, that would have been the prudent thing to do. But I am not known for my patience and I could not wait to get that sucker on the water and see what it could do.

The good news is that the mechanic checked everything over. All looks good and said the engine is in excellent shape. The previous owner had hooked up a couple of the hoses incorrectly and thus the water being pumped into the boat. At any rate, I should have noticed it immediately. Lesson learned. $59 to have boat checked over and hoses attached. Boy did I breathe a sigh of relief.

I am all set up for the boater's course. Also have my wife and my 12 year old taking it as well.

lukec

Cadet

Well I did immediately go to the lake as well due to impatience also..yeah. Engine started running rough. After that I found this forum and started asking questions. The answers where great! But rebuilding a carburetor..um no. I'm like you "impeller?" I guess we are learning a lot here and will learn first hand too.:cool: lol. -- I tell you it's great finally having a boat isn't,, even if it's sitting at the mechanics.--luke