Change brake fluid??

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
My mechanic suggested changing brake fluid in my truck/cars. I've been driving a lot of years and have never before heard of this. Any iboaters do this?

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Change brake fluid??

How old is the vechical?<br />How does the brake fluid look?<br />How does it smell?<br /><br />The answer depends on the above questions.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have found once in a great while brake fluid will get moisture in it and need changed. <br /><br />I have also known of 2 shops that rip people off with brake fluid changes by convincing them it is like the motor oil.<br /><br />There are a few instances where the fluid will need changed, but not often. Get a second opinion from a reputable garage.

tommays

Admiral

What do the auto makers say about fluid changes? General Motors and Chrysler do not mention brake fluid in their scheduled maintenance recommendations. A General Motors spokesman said Delco Supreme 11 DOT 3 brake fluid contains additives than many other brake fluids do not, so it is essentially a lifetime fluid. Starting in 1993, GM began using a new type of rubber brake hose with an EPM lining and outer jacketing that reduces moisture penetration by 50%. So GM does not consider fluid contamination to be a significant problem.<br /><br />Ford, however, recently changed its position and now recommends fresh fluid every 36,000 miles or three years—and to replace the fluid each time the brake pads are changed.<br /><br />Several import vehicle manufacturers also recommend fluid changes for preventative maintenance. BMW says the fluid should be changed every two years. Honda recommends a flush & fill every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. Subaru also recommends a 30,000 mile fluid change. Volkswagen recommends changing the fluid every two years, and clearly states this in their owners manuals.<br /><br />If motorists would only follow this simple advice to change their brake fluid periodically, they could greatly reduce the risks associated with moisture-contaminated brake fluid. The could extend the life of their brake systems and likely save themselves a lot of money in the long run—especially if their vehicle is equipped with ABS (you know how expensive ABS modulators are to replace!).<br />
i would thing that how wet it is were you live my have some inpact on this<br /><br />tommays

LubeDude

Admiral

Brake fluid is unlike regular hydaulic oil in that it will redily absorb moisture, lots of moisture. Brake fluid is one of the most overlooked things in vehicles. You should absolutly change your brake fluid in an ABS car every two years or you are going to be replacing an ABS pump and they are not cheap. Regular brake systems should be changed out at least every four years.<br /><br />You can take a small jar and put brake fluid in it and add about 1/8 water and mix it up and set it on the shelf, It will not separate.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The newer vehicles with aluminum brake caliper need to have the fluid changed. The moisture absorbed by the fluid definately causes corrosion problems inside the aluminum calipers.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My VW manual recommends it. I have done it when I changed out all the brakes and rotors. Why take a chance? In the cold climate I live it I don't take the chance that it might freeze.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Here's the whole story. Like Lubedude said, brake fluid absorbs moisture. It takes it right out of the air. (humidity) This condition does a couple of things;<br /><br />one, it lowers the boiling point of the fluid. With heavy brake use the heat is transfered to the fluid. If the fluid boils it cannot transmit the force of the peddle to the brake pads.<br /><br />secondly, as sediment is created in the caliper/brake cylinder (from wearing soft parts) the moisture laden sediment is held up against the piston cylinder walls where it corrodes the parts and eventually causes them to accellerate the softpart (seals) wear, resulting in leaks.<br /><br />There you have it. Change the fluid as recommended.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I first heard of this 19 years ago, when I bought my first BMW bike.<br />Been changing it on all my vicles (every couple years) ever since.<br /><br />But I do not change the blinker fluid. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> But I do not change the blinker fluid. :)
Me either, and contrary to popular beleif, Muffler bearings last the life of your car.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input - believe I will do the fluid change - it's only $$.<br /><br />As for the blinker fluid, don't need to change it any more since adding Slick 50 :D :D

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Hmm. Mine looks like a cross between burnt motor oil and chocolate milk. Probably outta change mine too. <br /><br />Can this be done at home?<br /><br />By one person?<br /><br />If so/how?<br /><br />Is it just a matter of removing the bleeder valves and letting the fluid drain and then refilling or would you need some fangdangled gizmo?<br /><br />spots

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CN Spots,<br /><br />I would let a shop do it. In the old days of no ABS, it was relatively easy. Although to do it well, it still took two people. One to pump the pedal and hold the pressure while watching the fluid level in the master cylinder and the other to release the bleeder valve. I did it many times on my older cars. Now with ABS, the path that the fluid takes is pretty complex. I asked my mechanic the same question and he told me that there are almost 6 bleeder valves that need to be checked even before you get to the caliper or brake piston. As well they should have the tools to do it, like a vacuum assisted bleeder. I think for the peace of mind, it's better to take it in.

KaGee

Admiral

I just did it in the fall when I replaced the brakes. That little mighty vaccuum pump did a great job of sucking the old fluid out through the wheel cylinders. I sucked it till it turned clear on each wheel.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I learn something new every day!<br /><br />I have never changed the fluid on any of my vehicles, and never had any serious brake problems. <br />1994 Pontiac Bonneville, 165,000 miles. Changed front pads once. Fluid looks clean and almost clear. <br /><br />1996 Ford Windstar 170,000 miles. Never had a single problem with brakes. Fluid looks good here too.<br /><br />I am thinking as soon as weather warms up it is time to do this!

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Been reading my MG manual; at 24,000 miles, drain off all fluid on brakes and cluch, refill and bleed all 4 wheels and cluch.<br /><br />At 36,000 miles; fluid should be renewed aswell as all seals and hoses in the brake and cluch system.<br /><br />It dosen't matter how fast you can go but it will come down to "CAN I STOP"

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> I just did it in the fall when I replaced the brakes. That little mighty vaccuum pump did a great job of sucking the old fluid out through the wheel cylinders. I sucked it till it turned clear on each wheel.
You got a link for your 'little mighty vacuum pump' KaGee? I have several that are overdue and I don't relish paying $100 bucks to have someone suck my brake fluid!! ;)

dolluper

Captain

There are test strips out in the market that will tell you how much moisture is in your brake fuild.<br />Yes it is a very good practice to change YOUR BRAKE FUILD it atracks moisture!!!! Also when you change caliper pads crack the bleeder screw {on farest from master first} before you compress the piston this will lighten the load on the seals in caliper and master cylinder.I personally like the gravity bleed way of bleeding,place a dip pan under ,crack the screw or remove and walk away,coming back in time before master gets too low and also starting at the farest brake away from the master first

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> You got a link for your 'little mighty vacuum pump' KaGee?
Here ya go Boomer.<br /><br />You can also use it for pulling a vacuum on your upper and lower unit to check the seals.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have one of those pumps and they are quite handy.<br /><br />Change your power steering fluid too, just use the pump to suck all the old fluid out of the resivior, and then top off with new fluid. Its not a complete change of fluid, but enough to keep things fresh.<br /><br />Ken