Volvo 275 Kicking Up in Reverse

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 275 Kicking Up in Reverse

No I do not own a boat I work on them 6 days a week 10 hours a day.The last thing I would ever own is a boat.Cool picture tho.

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tulsa,

I believe the drive was in neutral.. Didn't even think to put it in reverse in the driveway. When I get my transom/stringers/floor done and get the motor back in her I'll let you know the result.. :)

captmello

Captain

When your in forward or nuetral, the pawl should be holding the drive down. Its is however designed to release if you hit something. When you put the drive in reverse, there is a lock the keeps the drive from releasing.

Your pawl may be working fine and the thrust sleeve and rod may be working correctly, but if the reverse lock isn't working, it may still release and bounce up. Especially on a worn/older unit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When your in forward or nuetral, the pawl should be holding the drive down.

When in neutral, yes the lockdown will hold on to the pin and the drive will not raise up, even if you lift it.
If you put it in forward, it should disengage the lockdown mechanism. The forward thrust of the prop will keep the drive down. But, if you hit something, the lockdown is not connected and the drive can lift up with the force of whatever you hit.
The mechanism is also engaged in reverse, just like neutral.

ONLY forward disengages the lockdown.

captmello

Captain

ONLY forward disengages the lockdown.

Wow Don. thanks for the correction. I had to run out and check my boat.

Mine doesn't work the way you say. However, It probably isn't working correctly either.

In the pic below, you can see the shaft on the right side of the shift mechanism, that when put into reverse it pushes the shaft in causing it to lock. When put into forward, it doesn't do a thing. Somethings not right with it.

shiftmechanism.jpg
[/IMG]

sparky58

Recruit

mine is bending the guide washer below the retaining pawl. anyone know why?