Leak from I dunno where

blazer7

Cadet
Hello all, I am new here, but have had great luck with other forums on my truck and thought I would try for my boat. I have a 2003 249 Glastron, 5.0l GXi / SX outdrive...

I have a leak from somewhere. When put in the water, the plate on the outer transom leaks by the time it's maybe 1-2 in the water. On the inside it's just below the y-pipe at some plate with 2 screw. I'm fixing to pull the boat out and pull the motor so I can replace what I've been told is the gimbal housing and seals.

ANY !!! advise or help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Leak from I dunno where

Before you start pulling the motor and all, remember that water flows down ;)... You may want to recheck the source of the leak, it may be located higher up and be something much easier to fix than resealing the y-pipe or that area.

Get good lighting and an inspection mirror and don't give up till you're sure where the leak is coming from... Good Luck.​

blazer7

Cadet

Well I have done two things already.

1. filled up bilge with a hose and watched water come out the back side of transom...

2. lowered boat in water without being turned on and the water leaked in almost as soon as the bracket where the upper unit attaches to the transom.
(I will look for pics)

I did use a camera to see where the water is coming from and it appears to be a small bracket directly behind the y-pipe. I'm thinking the gasket is bad or the bolts are loose. Either way, the boat/motor could use the slight overhaul. My buddy will hoist the motor out for me and put in on my engine stand. Once I have that, I can determine exactly where the leak is. Also, I can clean my bilge real good, replace my oil pan gasket, some rusty sensors, anything may need a good tending to. I plan on keeping the boat for a while and this definitely will not hurt.

So like I said, anyone that has done this before, any hints and or suggestions are very welcome.

Maclin

Admiral

A leak in that area is quite often from transom rot and not just seals. The fact that it leaks from there on the outside when water is put into the bilge is a red flag for transom problems in my book, but for your sake I hope it is something else.