Montgomery Wards 25 hp

dieselman2204

Recruit
i have a montgomery wards 25 hp. i would like to know the year and what make engine is, so i can get parts for it. the model # is GG9025A and the seral # is 75X704905. and does it take 2 stroke oil and if so what is the ratio. any help would be appreciated. Thanks Zack

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Montgomery Wards 25 hp

Howdy, Zack.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Someone will be along with the exact year, but I can tell you that you have a Gale-built engine from the late 50s-early 60s. Gale was a division of OMC, so your engine is a cousin of Johnson and Evinrude engines of the period.

It is a 2 stroke and you need to mix the fuel at 24:1; 6gal 87 octane unleaded and 1qt TC-W3 rated outboard oil.

Spark plugs should be Champion J4C gapped at .030", and set the magneto points at .020".

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What JB said.
It is a 1957. Parts such as carburetor kits, points & condnsers, coils, impellers, some gaskets, are available right here at iboats. The parts I just listed are all the same as a 1956 Johnson or Evinrude 30hp.

dieselman2204

Recruit

thanks for the info. and it seems to me that their is a fuel pump on the side of this motor before it goes to the carb. do you sale or have a part number so i can get a new one. also i was looking at a rebuild kit for my carb and how do i tell what carb i have because your website comes up with two diffrent carbs listed. thanks zack

dieselman2204

Recruit

Thanks and does any one know where i can get a maunal for the motor and a parts brake down list. also the stickers on the front of it that explane how to start it and so on.

dieselman2204

Recruit

so i orderd the carb kit and rebuilt it myself. i got it started but i was wondering how to set the high and low needles on the carb to get it to stay running. also how much water should be coming out of it when it is running in neutral. and do you think i should put a new water pump on it too. thanks Zack.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Read the Top Secret files, especially adjusting carbs, at the top of the Johnson/Evinrude forum. I always change the impeller on a motor I know nothing about...cheap insurance to keep me from paddling and to keep the motor intact.

dieselman2204

Recruit

i need more help i got it running good, but i need a water pump (i think not much water coming out). i was told some parts from a 30 hp johnson or evinrude fit my motor but no one said anything about a water pump. can you tell me where i can get one andif you have a part number. thanks zack