Is there a need for license to pilot a 50+ yacht

igloo

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to the forum and also to boating. Looking at eventually buying a 50 - 65 foot yacht and my question is do you need a license to pilot your own yacht? I would assume you do, but didn't know if there was a certain length of boat that was a threshhold for needing a license. Any information would be appreciated as well as any helpful web sites someone may want to recommend.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is there a need for license to pilot a 50+ yacht

your own boat, no. but you do need some boating experience before tackling something that size. also need several USCG courses, safe boating, navigation, etc. docking something that big can be a real task.

igloo

Cadet

your own boat, no. but you do need some boating experience before tackling something that size. also need several USCG courses, safe boating, navigation, etc. docking something that big can be a real task.
Thanks for the reply. I realize there is so much for me to learn, and if you have some suggestions on any web sites to start with I would appreciate your help.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can hire local licensed captains to spend as many hours as necessary to get you somewhat comfortable with a boat of that size but understand it takes years of experience to be a safe operator of a vessel of that size.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

have you owned boats before?
I'm a strong believer in learning on smaller boats first, then working your way up.
You way want to get a 16-21 ft boat first, then upsize when you get bored with that, and feel like you can handle a bigger size.

Smaller boats are much easier to learn on.

I think any recreational vessel is free from requiring a liscense, but it can be confusing to figure out the law.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Your insurance is probably going to dictate a lot of what you do with a boat that size. Gross Negligence (lack of operator knowledge) might come into play when dealing with something that is recognized as taking consderale skill and knowledge to operate. I believe open water crossings have specific requirements for insurability.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I agree somewhat with the previous poster. If you're learning on your own, it's usually better to start small, however piloting larger boats is a skill like any other. With the proper training and practice, there's no reason you can't start with a 50+ footer. Good luck with the purchase.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

hire Capt. Ron

I hear he is available

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with what has been said. As for insurance, there were several carriers that would not consider me when I was a new boater whose first boat was a 27' sport cruiser. Looking back, it was a mistake to start that big, should have started with something around 19' and work my way up.

You will want to get as musch education as possible. Check out USPS.org for courses near you.

Another good site is
http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?Newsid=2872

It is a series of short but very informative basic boating videos.

Jeep Man

Commander

Yes, there is a rule. I only know this because a business acquantance of mine had a 42' which he piloted himself. He moved up to a 62' and had to hire a Captain. He put in his required hours with this captain and wrote his test for HIS captains papers. He has since moved up to an 80' and recently to a 165' he now leases out in the Bahamas.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

but i think the threshold is at 60 - 65 ft.

over that, you need a liscense and a registered name

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I'm almost sure this is a state to state thing as well. Here in CT you need a license to operate any boat or personal watercraft. There might be something in there for a very small boat, or possibly a non motor powered boat (row boat) but for anything larger you need a license. I believe after 65' you need a captains license as well...

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, when I say liscense I am referring to a captains liscense, not the boater safety card every boater has to have.