Linkage gear shift problems GMC 1989 350 V8

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, we had to buy a new engine for this boat and now it's in and then it needed a starter, we thought we had it all and now it starts up great, we are dieing to get this in the water. It's a Reinell 1989 Interlude and we are having trouble with getting it to go into gear first and reverse. I tried searching the internet and seeing any manuals so my husband could have somthing to go by. He loaned out the manual that I bought him and just now told me that he would get the $16 bucks for what it cost, well, needless to say it was a lot more then that. I was hoping someone would post a link for us to refer to the instructions.

One guy came over and wanted to cut cable... I don't know please help, the sun is out and we have had this boat for about 9 months, never got it in the water last year because the sellers forgot to tell us that there was a hole in the engine block!!! It's true, we just keep throwing money in!!

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Linkage gear shift problems GMC 1989 350 V8

Thanks, here's what I do have, this is the engine we bought from S&S Engine Manufacturing, CHV-350LMLB-4, CHEVY 350 MARINE ENGINE (87-94 V8)

We turn it on after installing starter and can get it into drive but not reverse. The guy that looked at it said that the cable was too long but it's the original cable so we didn't want to just start cutting. My BF thinks it's in the control arm and the linkage... I will post more if I can get it...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Need to know the year and make of the outdrive.(Mercruiser,OMC,Volvo)
Then we can steer you to the correct factory manual.
Do not let someone start cutting cables!

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it's an inboard outboard and the year and make is what I listed above.

Bondo

Staff member

it's an inboard outboard

Ayuh,.... No Kidding,.... Built by WHOM,..??
Believe it or Not,... There are Several brands, And Models...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

GM makes engines for hundreds of boat manufactures.....
We need the DRIVE info...The part sticking out of the back of the boat!
A serial number off the drive or what does it say? Alpha,Bravo,Volvo,Cobra???

You have some of the best techs you will ever find willing to help if you just give them the info.The GM 350 tells us nothing as far as shift cables and linkage..

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, I don't want you to think that I don't care or am trying to waste your time. It's my boyfriend, he hurt his arm and is too proud to tell me everything about the boat because I think he is having trouble even using his arm to fix it. I will sneak out there later when he is sleeping and see what numbers I can get off of it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Just to double check, this is the engine that we bought, http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=825&p_catid=199

That doesn't help? It has to do with the part that was already there?? Not trying to be a total blonde, just double checking. :)

You are correct, The drive is the part that sticks out the back of the boat.
If we can determine exactly what it is we can point you to the correct service manual with all the info he will need to get it running and shifting correctly..
Even if you can take some pics of the drive,engine and what ever possible maybe the guys here can ID it for you..

Gotta give you credit for trying to help the BF....My other half could care less about our boat and would be clueless about what engine it has or how it works...:)

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Well, he's asleep but he did say that as long as his arm is like this he's pretty bumbed because he can't get in and climb around. He put the motor in himself, after I found it on the internet. Then he wanted to pay $200 for the starter, I found one for $65, it's a marine starter, everything matches up but it's much smaller then the original. So, just now I got my glasses on and my little flash light, here's what I got.... it's a OMC Cobra Outboard and the numbers say this, 5.7SE and on the left side of the sticker underneath some letters that I couldn't make out are these numbers, 985689 on the right, 10622486.

It's his birthday on the 14th and if I could give him some info and or if anyone has any of the manual pages that I wouldn't have to buy and wait for... that could help, that would be a really good birthday present. The starter was one and I ordered bumpers and life jackets from Overton and I really wanted to get new slip covers for the berth, I know, a girl thing, but priority's first!

I was raised on the water and I am a warm water diver and a junior Olympic swimmer, I love the water probably more then he does!!! We spent everything we had on this boat and my new business and now were in a huge slump because no one is hiring me to do any research or recruiting and that's what my business is! maybe we'll just get on the boat and motor on out of here for a while! No, I think we need some safety classes first. But thanks so much for anyone who helps, it will be greatly appreciated!:D

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

I found a service manual on CD for $6 buck says it downloads into PDF, so I am going to see if he can send me the download first.... still don't stop, we need all your help!

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Shoot, I was gonna PM someone and then I thought better and read the rules, well, just bumping then. :rolleyes::redface:;)

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your time and I will let you know how it goes.:p

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, still alittle confused and need guidance. My boyfriend first came home and said that the boat was going in the water tomorrow with another little boat to back us up in case we had problems and got stuck. Then he came back in and said, "we're screwed, it's the shift cable that needs to be replaced." I was taking a nap because I had been up for about 30 hours getting rid of malware on my desktop computer. I just read some of the stuff on the web site that you linked for me. Last night I printed it all out and put the main pages inside of clear view plastic holders and then I copied all of the linked pages and included them in a folder for him to have and read. I know that he had trouble matching all the pages together and I am hoping that he didn't check somethings that those pages referred to. From what I understand we have the "dog clutch"

He is sleeping now and is cranky and since I don't understand everything about it and he tends to not want to communicate all the mechanical stuff to me, I am hoping that there is something within those pages that could possibly be the problem as apposed to us now having to replace the shift cable which I imagine is probably expensive, everything with this boat has been expensive. We bought it for $4500 thinking we got a great deal until we found out that the owners "neglected" to tell us there was a hole in the block! Now we're at about 10k in total. He's not working due to his shoulder and I am trying to plug along paying all the bills with a new business. Luckily I have a father who gives me money each month or we would be on the streets!! So, this is why I am of course hoping it's not another $200 dollar issue.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have three options

1) Have someone else fix the cable $350
2) Have your boyfriend fix it himself. $80 or so for a cable.
3) Ditch the boat and your boyfriend...priceless

Sorry couldn't help myself. :)

Not sure how mechanically inclined he is. It isn't that hard but it involves pulling the drive which should be done annually anyway. Should also align the drive while you are at it which involves buying or renting an alignment tool.

Hopefully, the failed shift cable hasn't ruined your dog clutch.

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I just got a very snarled, "I don't know, I just know the shift cable isn't ______ing, moving." if that helps!

beachinmoney

Seaman Apprentice

Bruce, are you familiar with the information from the site that Kavah55 referred me to? Bruce, I'm thinking get rid of the boyfriend! No, he is very mechanically inclined. Thank god, if I had a different boyfriend the boat would never have gotten this far! Actually, I 'm gonna keep him around until the boat is fixed and then me and my new, brainless but hot looking boyfriend will take the boat out and enjoy the summer! Did I mention the boat title is in my name? Oh, and this new "hot" boyfriend is also filthy rich! Geez, I think I better start drinking what ever I drank to believe that situation!:rolleyes:

Kovah55

Banned

When you do get around to installing the lower cable he will need the hastings post.And if you pay someone to do it give them the pages you d/l.