Update on Jeep TJ Wrangler shimmy

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Update on Jeep TJ Wrangler shimmy

I will add this so you all can have a good laugh, but I would check the rubber brake line coming to the brake caliper and I will tell you why.<br /><br />You think a shake is bad in a Jeep, try it out in a 30' Class A motorhome.<br /><br />Puts a whole new meaning to shake.<br /><br />My problem was the rubber lines were collapsing and not letting the caliper release all the way and at speed, I guess the pads were grabbing and letting go and it sure did shake.<br />I mean shake the whole 30,000#'s of motorhome.<br /><br />Replaced both sides and no more shake.<br /><br />OK, now go ahead and laugh. :cool:

Dunaruna

Admiral

SBN,<br /><br />I'm a brake mechanic by trade and that does not sound unreasonable.<br /><br />Very difficult to diagnose using words on a computer screen, ball joints and tie rod ends are obvious culprits but never ever assume until all is double checked. <br /><br />Flexible brake hoses swell over time and begin to restrict causing what you described (cut an old one open and you will see what I mean).<br /><br />Aldo

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not laughing SBN...I'm having to drive a single axle dump truck to take the kids to school and other errands. Love that 10 mpg I'm getting!<br /><br />I'll pass the word, I gave up doing this one myself a week ago. I haven't heard anything in two days.<br /><br />You guys will be the first to know how it turns out.<br /><br />Jinx

jinx

Well, I went by the shop this morning. The Jeep now occupies an honored place in the back. They have now idea how to fix it--their words, not mine. This is a good shop, too.<br /><br />Chrysler got back to me, but they won't get involved unless it is at one of their dealers--no surprise there. It has already been to a Jeep dealer, but I'm afraid I'll just be emptying my wallet out on parts changing.

LubeDude

Admiral

It absolutly cannot do it unless something is lose. I think you should replace the tie rod ends, and install one of those steering stablizers. Do you have larger tires than stock? If so you need a steering stableizer. and the new tie rod ends. Sometimes its hard to tell they are bad untill you replace them.

jinx

Lube: Tires are stock, steering stablizer has been replaced. I'm putting new front tires on today, it needs them anyway, but I don't see much hope there because I just rotated and balanced them.<br /><br />Tie rod ends have been checked by three shops, but may be next on the list.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jinx

LubeDude

Admiral

We may be talking about the same thing, Some people confuse the stablizer with the Idler arm, Im talking about a shock adsorber looking thing that attaches to the stearing arm. I suppose (steering damper) is the correct name for it, and I see you have replaced that. How did they check the tie rod ends, if they didnt remove them from the spindles, they realy cant be checked. They should be rock solid and you really shouldnt be able to move them without a lot of force. It will be interesting to know what finally ends up being the problem.

hokey1

Cadet

I have been reading about your dilema and and was just wandering, when all these front end parts were checked and not replaced how was the vehicle positioned? What I mean is was the vehicle hanging on a rack or was it checked while vehicle was resting like on a alignment rack. If you check front end parts such as ball joints or tie rods while wheels are hanging they wont show as bad especially outer tie rods. When hanging the ball and joint part of it is at a position or angle that they normally dont see, meanwhile with the suspension in its normal state these parts are at there natural operating angle and is where and how they should be checked. Have seen it happen many times. Same goes for the front drive axles. Hope this helps.

jinx

Well, I'm back at the keyboard and thought I would bring things up to date.<br /><br />The mechanic tried some adjustment with the caster, and it seemed to be somewhate better, but still did it once on a test drive.<br /><br />I put new tires on the front, just to cover that base. I then put a 300 mile highway trip on it to test it out.<br /><br />I did not get the dreaded wobble--and again I stress this is not a shimmy, but a real danger of loosing control of the vehicle, sort of like a blow out on a front tire would be. The Jeep, however did not handle well, and wandered a lot from the "expiremental" alignment setting.<br /><br />I took it back again to the shop this morning and had them bring it back to specs for handling reasons, and it again feels like the wobble will occur at any time. <br /><br />I'm going to put another hundred miles on it this afternoon, but don't expect much. <br /><br />I have not completely decided, but I am leaning toward getting rid of this thing. I cannot send my wife out in it, as it is, at this point an unpredictable death-trap. By the way, this is my fourth Jeep, and we've put almost 700k miles on them.<br /><br />Here is what one website says about this problem:<br /><br />"As you have already found out, Death Wobble, the horrible front end vibration that starts when one wheel (usually the right) hits a bump around 40~50mph, is the worst possible downside to having a coil-sprung vehicle with a track bar setup such as the WJ, XJ, ZJ, and TJ use. Death Wobble is also extremely difficult to try to diagnose, because it is actually caused by slop in the entire steering system as a whole, not by one component. To diagnose correctly, one needs to look for "play" everywhere there is something that could have "play" in it. It's time consuming, and downright dangerous while you are in "test phase", trying to exorcise this demon from your Jeep."<br /><br />I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for your ideas.<br /><br />Jinx

LubeDude

Admiral

Not to be redundant, but wouldnt changing the tie rod ends have been cheaper than an alignment and new tires. You would have had to have an alignment anyway with the tie rod ends, (inner and outer). I still feel this is where the wear is as you have replaced everything else. EVERY time I have seen this fenomina, and I have worked in dealerships and knew several wheel alignment people, and have done it myself, it has been sloppy tie rod ends. Like I mentioned before, they are next to imposable to test without taking them off the vehicle. If you sell it like this you are putting someone elses family in danger. :eek:

jinx

I am well aware of who would probably buy a 2nd hand Jeep with 92k on it...some kid probably. Makes it a hell of situation, I can't seem to get it fixed, and am to poor to be a philanthropist.<br /><br />Tie rods were not changed at the last shop, because they strongly felt they were OK. What's next? Tie rods, or, maybe some stray lightning bolt.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi jinx<br /><br />have you considered some type of urethane bushings on the track rod or other suspension locations. <br /><br />it is possible the death wobble is also related to some of the causes for torque steer where the flexing of the suspension initiates movement in the steering linkage.<br /><br />I have no other new ideas that havent been covered already <br /><br />its a shame to get rid of an otherwise perfectly good Jeep.<br /><br />Pascal

LubeDude

Admiral

Ive said it before, and I will say it one more time. REPLACE THE TIE ROD ENDS. Both inner and outer. I would have thought that any front end shop would have done that the very first thing as I have said before, they are the first thing to wear out usually and are generally the cause of the "Death wobble".

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it has been mentioned here before, but when I put oversized tires on a van, I developed the death wobble. I installed the steering dampener (horizontal mounted shock on steering arm) and it went away like magic!

jimr

i have seen the trac bar where it mounts to the frame wear out the hole in the frame it might look tight but its not

jinx

800 miles on Jeep since adjustment of caster and a set of new rubber on the front....dare I hope?<br /><br />Fingers crossed...Jinx<br /><br />PS Urethane bushings, tier rod ends and inspection of that track bar frame mounting will be next, if it doesn't hold.<br /><br />Thanks guys for all your help. This has been a real puzzler.