Axle replacement

Mister Dave

Cadet
I have a 1956 trailer that was made for a 16' Lonestar boat. The wheels on it look like they are beginning to do the splits. In other words the wheels are riding more on the inside tread on the tire. Is there any solution for this rather than replacing the axle?

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Axle replacement

If you have a welder or access to one, it's not hard to build a new axle. I purchased axle stubs and new hubs from easternmarine.com I purchased a piece of 2 x 2 x 1/4" wall tubing thru work.

Drill some 3/8" holes in the tubing where the axle stub gbing to plug weld it and also weld around the tubing/axle stub. One shallow hole on each end to locate the spring and you're good to go.

DABS

Seaman Apprentice

Do you know the weight rating of the axle? How many leaf springs? Have you weighed the boat/trailer combo? Overloaded axles will cause inside tire wear as will tow/camber issues. Is your trailer a single axle or tandem? Put a straight edge across the top of the axle to see if it is bowed. Once you arm yourself with this information, the solution will be easier to discover. You certainly got your money's worth out of it. If you need to replace the axle, call 1-800-835-9211 ext 16 and I can assist you.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Axle's are pretty cheap. I ordered one the other day for my boat trailer. It's a 1 ton axle with a 3" drop. The cost was $109.00 + tax from the local trailer parts store.
You will probably have to buy new hubs since your old hubs won't work on newer axles (that's what they told me). My trailer is from the late 70's/early 80's and my old hubs worked.
If you need hubs get em off ebay.