carberator issues -77' 115

77_starcraft

Seaman
I had two separate issue this weekend on my 77 evenrude 115 that I think are carburetor related;

day 1) rich idle in or out of gear. sound like it running on 2 cyc. Ran OK above 2500 rpm. Float stuck?

Day 2) no more idle problem but loss of power at anything other than idle. boat would barely plane, and surging like whatever is wrong comes and goes.

I think these are related. maybe debris went from keeping the float open into one of the jets. I pulled the plugs and they all look the same, and OK so not sure which carb is the problem.

the boat sat 6 months with stabilizer in fuel. I added 5 gallons of fresh fuel. I have opened up these carbs several times in the last few years. other than the screen on the fuel pump is additional filtration needed so I'm not cursed with carb problems? tank is a custom made from 1/4" Aluminum.

frustrated because this motor is only 50-75% reliable. I keep fixing it but don't trust it to get me back to the dock.

77_starcraft

Seaman
Re: carberator issues -77' 115

Day 2) no more idle problem but loss of power at anything other than idle. boat would barely plane, and surging like whatever is wrong comes and goes.

I have had the fuel passage bolt fall out of one carb before, so it was running on 2 cyclinders only. would not plane and ran constiently crappy.

the problem stated above seems different. Ignition possibly?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have not change all fuel lines from tank to carb, to alcohol resistant fuel lines. the ethanol, in the gas, eats the old lines, they sluff off the inside, and settle in the bottom of the carbs, where the fuel pick up is for the low speed jets, and clog the high speed jets.

77_starcraft

Seaman

All the lines are new, which probably lead to my problem.

I found a piece of debris in front of one of the main jets. went ahead and cleaned all the passages and runs good, so says the new owner

sold on Craig's list in 6 hours! Gone! miss that old boat but wont have to fix it either.....time for a bigger more expensive money pit to cus at.:)