Trim Troubles - Words of wisdom please...

Hey everyone. Just got a 86 Renken. It has a 4.3 in it with a stern drive on the back. I just did a tremendous amount of work getting this pup water ready again. Get er back in the water and more troubles.....I just got the trim fixed on it. Motor and seals were bad. Took it out and now the trim wont hold the motor and sterndrive in place. Its almost in free wheel. When I give it gas the motor pops up and when I let off the throttle, the motor slams down. When I hit the trim up/down button the motor will trim up or down as long as it is not under load. If I do lift the motor all the way up, it will end up down after a short period of time. Not sure if it would be low on hydro fluid or not. Not sure how to fill it. There is a spot that I unscrewed a big flathead screw and tried to fill but it would not take fluid. I just replaced the boot in the back and first time out----ripped it and took on a crap load of water because of this problem. Hoping someone can help me out... To much money into the boat to turn back now!! Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Chad in Florida

I see people have viewed this with no replies... Is there something that I may be leaving out that may help?

Re: Trim Troubles - Words of wisdom please...

Purge the system of any air that could have found its way into the hydraulic lines and see if that helps any.

I checked through all the books I have and Im not seeing anywhere it says how to purge it. On my drag car I have a separate switch to purge the nitro im sure there is not a switch to purge the hydros correct? I looked on line also and can not find instructions. Do you have a link?

Thanks

I can assure you there most certainly is not a 'switch' that you can flip to bleed air out of your trim system. I can also assure you that there is a proper proceedure for accomplishing this task. What it would take for you to accomplish this I cannot say, however, because you said your vessel was equipped with a 'stern-drive'. With the variety of 'stern-drive' permutations out there all I can say with any certainty is that it CAN be done, but nothing as to HOW you should go about doing this.

Im assuming it is a stern.....I know it is not a cobra. The motor and outdrive trim up and down together. It has a separate switch for trailer. The trim pumps are located on the motor mounts. I have been having a heck of a time with this whole project....Im not surprised to come across yet another task........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You haven`t told us what type of sterndrive is on the back

Sorry. I know its a OMC not sure if its a 400 or bigger. My motor is a 4.3