How to prep aluminum before applying Gluvit?

I have a 14' Gamefisher riveted aluminum boat which I plan to paint someday. When the boat was given to me (I'm finding that there's no such thing as a free boat), it was full of rainwater, and not leaking a drop. I'd like to seal the seams with Gluvit anyway, because I think that as the boat finally sees some use, the seams will loosen up. Good idea/bad idea? The boat is painted gray on the inside (factory?), but there are some areas of rust staining (anchor) that I sanded and wire brushed.

What kind of prep do I need to do before applying Gluvit? Do I need to go as far as pre-painting prep, down to bare metal/acid wash?

storem078

Cadet
Re: How to prep aluminum before applying Gluvit?

I had the same question so Ill be keeping an eye on your thread. I have a 16 foot Sea Nympth that I I have sanded down a bit on the bottom to remove all the old weathered paint. It looks like the previous owner painted it with a standard black aluminump paint that didnt last too long. I want to gluvit the entire bottom, but im wondering if I can paint over Gluvit.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

GluVit is not a paint and it's relatively expensive. Covering the entire bottom of your boat is not a very userful or practical thing to do.

It's also a pentrating epoxy so any existing paint needs to be removed or it won't be able to do what it's designed to do. It's best to use a wire wheel to remove the paint at the joints but you can use a paint remover any where else. The joints have a rubber gasket material in them and if you destroy that you severely damage the water tight integrity.

Any surface where GluVit is to be applied should be clean and sanded with 80 grit open coat sandpaper. You do not need any type of primer or prime wash/etch.

One very important thing about using GluVit is to ensure that you mix it thoroughly.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently painted a1970s 14' Mirrocraft.
To be honest I just pressure washed inside and outside using dawn and Clorox mixture for soap. The original factory finish was spotty but solid .
I just went ahead and used poly resin (not epoxy like gluvit) and applied to the cleaned (with original paint still on) riveted areas with a mini roller. Only on the inside.
A few days later I painted it with oil Rustoleum from Home Depot (no sanding or priming)
So far so good. I will be posting if the I notice any adhesion failure or peeling.
Right now it is very solid and even scratching with screwdriver does not take the paint or "gluvit" off. I get lots of complement on the boat and will be reporting it if the poly resin delaminates.
Here is the pictures before during and after

Attachments

• Mirrocraft 010.jpg
    Mirrocraft 010.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4
  • boat 036.jpg
    boat 036.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 5
  • boat 006.jpg
    boat 006.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 6
  • boat 093.jpg
    boat 093.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 5

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a 14' Gamefisher riveted aluminum boat which I plan to paint someday. When the boat was given to me (I'm finding that there's no such thing as a free boat), it was full of rainwater, and not leaking a drop. I'd like to seal the seams with Gluvit anyway, because I think that as the boat finally sees some use, the seams will loosen up. Good idea/bad idea? The boat is painted gray on the inside (factory?), but there are some areas of rust staining (anchor) that I sanded and wire brushed.

What kind of prep do I need to do before applying Gluvit? Do I need to go as far as pre-painting prep, down to bare metal/acid wash?

Sanding to bare metal is fine. Be sure to paint over the gluvit since it does not have UV protection. It dries kind of yellowed/cloudy but super smooth.

I recently painted a1970s 14' Mirrocraft.
To be honest I just pressure washed inside and outside using dawn and Clorox mixture for soap. The original factory finish was spotty but solid .
I just went ahead and used poly resin (not epoxy like gluvit) and applied to the cleaned (with original paint still on) riveted areas with a mini roller. Only on the inside.
A few days later I painted it with oil Rustoleum from Home Depot (no sanding or priming)
So far so good. I will be posting if the I notice any adhesion failure or peeling.
Right now it is very solid and even scratching with screwdriver does not take the paint or "gluvit" off. I get lots of complement on the boat and will be reporting it if the poly resin delaminates.
Here is the pictures before during and after

Good luck with the poly resin. You might make it but poly resin cracks with stress. I hope it sticks.:confused:

mantis270

Seaman

I'm renovating a 35yr old, 14' aluminum hull and used Gluvit to seal the interior....I have a thread going here that I update...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299404

The interior paint was worn and there was some rust stain from a steel gas tank sitting in water. I may have overkilled a little but went all the way with the prep...

1) Scuffed the paint with 80 grit sandpaper
2) Applied a gel type paint stripper
3) Scraped the blistered paint
4) Wire wheeled the stubborn spots, seams and around rivets
5) Acid washed with phosphoric acid and a Scotch Brite pad
6) Thoroughly rinsed and dried

Gluvit is expensive ~$45 a quart and you do need to mix it thoroughly. I was mainly interested in the seams and rivets. To make sure it creapt into the seams as much as possible, I tilted the boat then applied, allowed to cure then did the other side. Using a roller and foam brush, I was able to get a good coat on the entire floor and walls of the hull.

Gluvit has no UV protection built in so it needs to be painted. Just be sure to scuff and wash the surface before painting.