Newbie with a question.

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Newbie with a question.

I'm wondering if 65 Hp is too big for that boat? I wouldn't think so, but what would cause that severe of damage to the transom? Is the Manufactures plate readable?

raven174us

Seaman

It says it had a 70 hp Chrysler motor on it. He said something about the guy that he was fishing with was loading it and hit the bottom of the motor on the ramp. I'm not sure though. The floor looks good. I couldn't find any weak spots.

cbavier

Lieutenant

It says it had a 70 hp Chrysler motor on it. He said something about the guy that he was fishing with was loading it and hit the bottom of the motor on the ramp. I'm not sure though. The floor looks good. I couldn't find any weak spots.

raven. He forgot to raise the motor up when he pulled it up the ramp after loading the boat on the trailer. That's what I kinda thought happened. A very expensive lesson. The motor must be tilted all the way up at the dock when loading and when trailering. You said he put a new floor in so it should be solid and with no soft spots. Hopefully he wasn't covering up any structural damage. Not trying to scare you but???? If it was someone you knew you could trust them for the truth but a complete stranger???? Anyway the trailer and motor are worth way more than $400 you paid and you probably will have to remove the back part of the floor to repair the transom so if there is any problem you will find it. It still was a great buy.

Got mine in the garage today for cleanup and a wax job. It just came out of winter storage last Saturday. It's still winterized. Rained all day (after I got it in the garage) and rain is forecasted the next two days. 48 dg here right now. We are just a little over an hour south of the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge.
It was 76 here yesterday.

raven174us

Seaman

I know his son but probably not well enough to know for sure if he was telling the truth about is being ok under it. I guess once I start in on the transom I will go ahead and check under the floor. I don't want to take my chances cause I want this boat to last. We will be using this a lot once its fixed.
Thank you guys for all the advise. Everyone seems so nice here. I will post pics of my progress. Tomorrow is going to be spent at the lake fishing and wishing my boat was done. :D

cbavier

Lieutenant

I know his son but probably not well enough to know for sure if he was telling the truth about is being ok under it. I guess once I start in on the transom I will go ahead and check under the floor. I don't want to take my chances cause I want this boat to last. We will be using this a lot once its fixed.
Thank you guys for all the advise. Everyone seems so nice here. I will post pics of my progress. Tomorrow is going to be spent at the lake fishing and wishing my boat was done. :D

I don't think you will have to pull all the floor. Just the back section. If your careful it can go back just like it came out. If there is going to be any problem it will be in the very back. Anyway you will know once you tear into it. Good luck Fishing tomorrow.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Iv been out fishing for 5 hours...
Your boat looks good. Why did they not put the steering cable in the tube? They spent an extra few hundred rigging it that way. Does it have electric tilt? if not you might want to look into that its 100 times better and don't know how i would live without it.
Matt