The smoking guns...

After posting several threads on this boat I bought that had a pushed out casting plug, hours and hours of labor, and B.O.A.T. (breaking out another thousand) I've got these 3 pictures to share and a request.

Please let me know what if I can get this block repaired (if so is it a reasonable thing to do?), do I need to replace the bimball/bellows, and should I just try to transfer my internals to a new block or go remanned?

Please keep in mind I bought this boat for cheap because I'm not exactly rich. I can get 1K out of the original owner towards the new engine.

Thanks ahead of time,
Sean

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The smoking guns...

If it were me id find a replacement block and rebuild a solid no welded engine.

Thats definitely what I was leaning towards, just wanted some advice from people who have been there and done that before.

Also, what manuals do you guys recommend? I've got the ones from the adults only section, but I like having something on paper in front of me.

Only go with Mercruiser manual, or Seloc is okay, or there is another/better choice?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Merc manuals only - search for them on ebay.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

With the heavy rust that shows on both the u-joints and bearing, yes they both need replaced. The bellows (all three) are a routine maintanence item that generally last 5+ years. If everything is already apart and you don't want to do it again in just a couple of years do them now, same goes for the trim sender and limit switch.

Thanks for that. So:
all 3 bellows need to be replaced
Gimball bearing only or other components in there that need replacing?
Trim sender and limit switch.
If anyone else can think of anything that should be done while everything is in this many pieces please let me know.
Thanks,
Sean

Bondo

Staff member

Also, what manuals do you guys recommend? I've got the ones from the adults only section, but I like having something on paper in front of me.

Ayuh,... Don't you have a Printer,..?? Print the sections you need...

Your block is Junk,+ needs to be Replaced, whichever way you want to do it....
And,..
As for the rest of the drive,... It Looks Bad, but only You can See,+ more importantly Feel it....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Merc manuals only - search for them on ebay.

Ahh......so many people just don't read the "Adults Only" Sticky!!!.....Maybe Don needs to change the name.......

Go up to the "Adults Only" Sticky

Scroll down to the "manuals" and download (right-click, save-as) to your desktop.......Or folder/directory/thumb-drive of your choice ...........

I'll also add that I have the paper copy too. I like to have it in addition to the PDF.

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you'll need that too. (gawd, everybody has that don't they?) Go here for the (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader. Most people should get it anyway since they're now up to about Version 9 or so.....

I'd get a new/reman/rebuilt engine too. that block is toast. Welding and gluing can get you stranded and you'll be pulling it out all over again wishing you'd "done it right the first time".....

replace the U-joints, bellow(sss) etc. That thing has been leaking for a while...

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks chief. Think you guys can tell if the crank/cam/pistons/rods are okay from a picture? They appear okay to me, I don't feel any scoring. The boat ran for an hour or so with the cracked block and never seized up or got hot (unless my temp gauge is broken).

I've got the engine completely broken down, so I'm in the boat of find a block and transfer internals, or just find a remanned block. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated at this point. Any ideas as to who has the cheapest price on bellows and Gimball bearing?

Thanks,
Sean
Ayuh,... Don't you have a Printer,..?? Print the sections you need...

Your block is Junk,+ needs to be Replaced, whichever way you want to do it....
And,..
As for the rest of the drive,... It Looks Bad, but only You can See,+ more importantly Feel it....

Thanks Rick.
I've actually got the manuals manuals, I just want something in print, that is very thorough- guess I just need to print the one from here.

So new block no matter what. I'm going to post the pix of the rotating stuff so hopefully someone can say transfer or sendem to the scrapyard.

Sean
Ahh......so many people just don't read the "Adults Only" Sticky!!!.....Maybe Don needs to change the name.......

Go up to the "Adults Only" Sticky

Scroll down to the "manuals" and download (right-click, save-as) to your desktop.......Or folder/directory/thumb-drive of your choice ...........

I'll also add that I have the paper copy too. I like to have it in addition to the PDF.

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you'll need that too. (gawd, everybody has that don't they?) Go here for the (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader. Most people should get it anyway since they're now up to about Version 9 or so.....

I'd get a new/reman/rebuilt engine too. that block is toast. Welding and gluing can get you stranded and you'll be pulling it out all over again wishing you'd "done it right the first time".....

replace the U-joints, bellow(sss) etc. That thing has been leaking for a while...

Cheers,

Rick

45Auto

Commander

How does the oil in the outdrive look? The input shaft is pretty rusty in the pic, if the sealing surface is rusty then the upper seal is probably shot. At least do a pressure test on the outdrive before you put it all back together.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Before you put too much money into repairing the drive it may be more cost effective to just replace it, SEI has good prices and warranty.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yikes. Don't just throw the old internals into a new block. That's not going to work, and your time will be wasted.

Take it to a machine shop, have them check it all out and mic it, at the very least. Just looking at a piston doesn't tell you very much about how it'll react when installed and run in a new block.