Roadway dividing lines

gonefishie

Commander
You know, those doggone dotted lines and the solid lines next to the shoulder. Why don't they paint it with something more visible like fluorescent orange or chartreuse instead of white and yellow. Does anybody else having hard time seeing them at night, especially when it's raining? I was on I69 last night during a heavy rain and I couldn't tell which lane I was on. Those reflectors in between the two lanes were barely visible and my eyesight is close to 20/20. I wish they could be like the ones on U.S 1 between Miami and Key West. That road light up like an airport runway at night.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Roadway dividing lines

The road lines here are yellow and the fog lines (on the side of the road) near the shoulders are white.

They plow so much they repaint them every year. anything other then paint would vanish in the first storm from a plow.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I asked that same question a while back. It seemed to me, that years ago those lines were reflective. They answer I got from someone who works for the highway dept. here was $$$$. The reflective paint is significantly more expensive than the other paint. Just another way to cut expenses, as all departments are trying to do.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think one reason why the lines in Florida are so much easier to see is the markers are actually little raised reflectors in the roadway. They can do that since there aren't any snowplows to knock them off.

One night years ago I almost fell asleep as I was heading south past Tampa Bay on the way to Naples. Those reflectors, bright as they were, were kind of mesmerizing. Arrived without incident by drinking bottled water and tapping feet and legs up and down.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

"Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the Highway"

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know what your saying about being hard to see when wet at night. I think if they would keep them painted more often it would help a bunch. This is a bad time of year for that because of being right after winter and all the plowing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Paint doesn't stick well on mud.