Johnson oil questions

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anybody experienced any problems with Penzoil marine oil tcw3? For years Ive only used OMC oil but it too hard for me to find now and it costs alot more than the Penzoil. What do you guys think? The motor is a 1995 30 h.p Johnson.

Also does anyone know the recommended wieght lower unit oil for that motor? Cant find it in the manual. (I bought 80-90w, hope thats OK) Thanks BP

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson oil questions

TC-W3 outboard oil is outboard oil, does not matter who's name is on it. same with gear lube. should be 80-90 outboard gear lube, this has an additive to fight water intrusion. be sure to change the seal on the lower plugs, when you change the oil, they are only 1 time use seals.

zing99

Cadet

I switched over to the penzoil premium marine last year. I was using the xd-50 but it got expensive quick. The premium is a semi synthetic, a bit less smoke and at ~12/gallon it's a whole lot cheaper than the xd-50. Worked fine for my 96 115hp.

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TC-W3 outboard oil is outboard oil, does not matter who's name is on it. same with gear lube. should be 80-90 outboard gear lube, this has an additive to fight water intrusion. be sure to change the seal on the lower plugs, when you change the oil, they are only 1 time use seals.

Thats funny I was going to ask if the same question if the penzoil would be fine for my motor I have a older motor I got a 1964 18hp johnson is the 2 cycle oil the one I want to mix with the gas? what is the TC-W3 outboard oil is this a weight of the oil. My first out board motor so I am not sure. thanks

56 rude

Banned

Thats funny I was going to ask if the same question if the penzoil would be fine for my motor I have a older motor I got a 1964 18hp johnson is the 2 cycle oil the one I want to mix with the gas? what is the TC-W3 outboard oil is this a weight of the oil. My first out board motor so I am not sure. thanks
yes the penzoil would be fine for your motor and yes you mix it with your gas.any tcw-3 would be fine for your motor.dont confuse 80w-90 for 2 stroke oil ,their talking about gear oil there.a lot of the old outboards (which i dont concider a 1964 one of them)used straight motor oil.take for example my 1939 22.5 ex-racing outboard,it says right in the manual to use a high grade 40 weight straight mineral oil for normal operation and 60 weight for racing at 1 1/2 pints to each gallon,how do you like that for a fuel oil ratio?never mind the lower unit which takes straight grease.

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes the penzoil would be fine for your motor and yes you mix it with your gas.any tcw-3 would be fine for your motor.dont confuse 80w-90 for 2 stroke oil ,their talking about gear oil there.a lot of the old outboards (which i dont concider a 1964 one of them)used straight motor oil.take for example my 1939 22.5 ex-racing outboard,it says right in the manual to use a high grade 40 weight straight mineral oil for normal operation and 60 weight for racing at 1 1/2 pints to each gallon,how do you like that for a fuel oil ratio?never mind the lower unit which takes straight grease.

Thanks for summing that up for me so I take my motor will not be strait oil

56 rude

Banned

Thanks for summing that up for me so I take my motor will not be strait oil
in a tight spot theres no reason you couldnt use straight oil,any oil is better than no oil.that being said most if not all places carry 2-stroke outboard motor oil.if your not sure ask the saleman .im with taschasdaddy tcw3 oil is tcw3 oil as long as its outboard 2 stroke.i personally only use synthetic in all my motors (2stroke)though if you worry about cost id stick with regular 2 stroke oil.there,s about a billion threads on this site about oil and it will never be settled to anybodys satifaction,lol

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, looks like I will be switching to Penzoil tcw3 this year as a gallon is 15 bucks and OMC is 25. If there is a noticeable difference, Id get it, but if its just tcw3 the heck with it.

Where are these 1 time seals in the lower unit? Do you mean the rubber gaskets around the drain screws? Thanks

Is it true the synthetic tcw3 Penzoil will smoke less? Wont synthetics make the seals leak like in a car?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Penzoil makes 100% synthetic TC-W3 and also conventional TC-W3. I am a firm fan of the 100% because of the less smoke and bio-degradibility.

TC-W3 refers to a test cycle that outboard oils have to pass to be allowed to label their oil with the NMMA logo and "certified" statement. It does not specify what the ingredients must be, as long as it can pass the test. NMMA stands for National Marine Manufactureres Associiation.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

guys i have been using Walmart Super Tech for years.

BassSpotter

Cadet
Question about synthetic blended gear lube

Question about synthetic blended gear lube

Do you happen to know if there would be any complications if I wanted to change from a standard 80W-90 wt. gear lube to a synthetic blended lube, obviously of the same wt.?

januarysails

Seaman Apprentice

I have a huge oil issue. I burn it bad! I'm trying to figure that one out, but I switched from Wally's to the Merc prem and the smoke is half!