Should I use a transom saver with an I/O?

Hey guys, just purchased my first I/O, a 140 Merc in my 84 Chaparral. I've never really dealt much with I/O's. Is a transom saver needed for these, or is that more of just an outboard thing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Should I use a transom saver with an I/O?

It shouldn't be needed. BUT!!!!
First they shouldn't be called transom savers. They do nothing for the transom, all the pressure is still on the transom and transom shield.
But what they will prevent is the drive trim cylinders, lines, or pump from leaking down and dragging the ground and taking out the lower unit.
Should be called a drive saver, not transom saver

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If the trim system is Up to Snuff,... No you Don't need 1....

bekosh

Lieutenant

For I/O's they are called trailering clips. They fit over the rams to hold them in the up position. In theory you don't need them because the hydraulics will hold the drive up unless there is a leak. But for around $20 why take the chance. See the attached pic of mine.

You can get them from Iboats.
http://tinyurl.com/ckmle8

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 23

Most times i see them on outboards. Clips on inboards / outboard drives.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My trim system is in good shape and doesn't leak down at all.

Having said that, If I were to drag my boat on the trailer on a long trip someplace I would put the trailering clips on.

I saw a picture of a drive that was dragged down the highway for hours before the owner figured it out and stopped. (didn't someone post that picture here a few years back?)

The drive was ground off to about halfway thru the propeller and lower propshaft, completely destroying the "lower".

When I had an outboad type of boat I made a simple "transom saver" out of a piece of 2x4 wood and bungees to keep the outboard engine from bouncing around on the transom by running it from the lower unit (a couple of inches above the propshaft line) to the trailer cross member under the transom.

An outdrive weighs far less than most outboard engines so they don't bounce around nearly as much. (My Tohatsu 9.8 outboard weighs 81lbs. My soon to be shipped (460) King Cobra outdrive weighs 110lbs..... My Bravo III probably weighs around 125lbs?)

A full throttle launch will put far more stress on your transom than bouncing down the road with trailering clips installed.

Cheers,

Rick

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use them all the time.. You said you use them on long trips? Smiling... just how long do ya think it would take if you loose pressure. Just don't forget to take them off.. Shoots up quite a rooster tail till ya figure it out.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It's about 10 min to the lake I boat at when I don't want to go "far"

I use them all the time.. You said you use them on long trips? Smiling... just how long do ya think it would take if you loose pressure. Just don't forget to take them off.. Shoots up quite a rooster tail till ya figure it out.
:eek:

I wouldn't worry about the rooster tail as much as I would worry about breaking a U-joint (and associated parts) running it above idle with the drive up like that!!

WizeOne

Commander

For I/O's they are called trailering clips. They fit over the rams to hold them in the up position. In theory you don't need them because the hydraulics will hold the drive up unless there is a leak. But for around $20 why take the chance. See the attached pic of mine.

You can get them from Iboats.
http://tinyurl.com/ckmle8

bekosh, is that a skeg repair device you have on you O/D?

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I use trailering clips on my Bravo III all the time. I have an aircraft "Remove Before FLight" steamer on them so I dont forget to take them off.. I've had them so long and taken them off so much its no longer an issue though but the COOL factor is still there!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I use trailering clips on my Bravo III all the time. I have an aircraft "Remove Before FLight" steamer on them so I dont forget to take them off.. I've had them so long and taken them off so much its no longer an issue though but the COOL factor is still there!

Yeah, great idea! I could just see myself trying to get the insurance company pay for a Bravo III (lower) replacement after grinding 12" off the bottom !!!:p
bravoIII2.gif

bekosh

Lieutenant

bekosh, is that a skeg repair device you have on you O/D?
http://www.blackfinskeg.com/home/

I put it on because my skeg was cut off about 3 inches short.
I ended up taking it back off because it cost me about 2 mph WOT.:mad:
It looked nice, but slowed me down.
Once the weather warms up, I'm just going to prime and repaint the skeg.

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 4

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't use the clips, but i do run a ratchet strap around the drive to the stern eyes. It holds the drive up and keeps it from moving side to side.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

My pre alpha has a eye on top and i use ratchet strap to middle stern eye. side to side i have not come up with anthing yet.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

http://www.blackfinskeg.com/home/

I put it on because my skeg was cut off about 3 inches short.
I ended up taking it back off because it cost me about 2 mph WOT.:mad:
It looked nice, but slowed me down.
Once the weather warms up, I'm just going to prime and repaint the skeg.
My last boat some of the skeg got broken off and the one I got was chrome looked pretty good.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

sorry not top cap eye , trim cylinder bolt. here is a picture.
IMG_1949-1.jpg