Cold motor won't start

jdot68

Cadet
I have a 1990 25hp Johnson outboard motor and the only way I get it started after it's been sitting for awhile is by spraying starting fluid in the carb. Once it has run for awhile I can start it with no problem. I checked the manual primer and it seems to be working ok. Once it's running I get a little back fire through the lower unit, but that may be just an idle speed adjustment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cold motor won't start

are you pumping the bulb till hard? get your carb adjusted, you cloud ruin the motor running lean. you have a mixture screw on the side of the carb.

jdot68

Cadet

It's a piston type primer, my owners manual says to pull & push it two times.

Rick.

Captain

TD is talking about your low speed idle setting. Back the needle out (counter clockwise) until it starts and runs without sneezing. You may have to pull the knob until you get it right and then replace it in the 6 o'clock position. Backing it out makes the setting a little richer and don't use starting fluid as there is no oil in it and therefore disastrous for a two stroke engine. Best of luck. Rick.

Edit. I'm wrong about the knob. Go here and look for your carb. and the slow speed needle.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=434f1be5d2bbb01c8889dd162ad2fa78

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Pull the small line from the primer to where it attaches to the motor and work the primer...see if fuel is being supplied.

MAS

jdot68

Cadet

TD,

I'm sorry I did not know you were referring to the fule line bulb. Yes I did squeeze it until it was hard.

jdot68

Cadet

MAS,

I pulled the hose you're talking about and it did pump fuel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have to use something to start the motor, use some of the premixed gas. spray bottle or a squeeze bottle.

jdot68

Cadet

Got it!!!
It was a blocked primer nipple at the carb. I cleaned it out and it fired right up. I want to thank every one for their input.
jdot