wiring gauges/meters

awthacker

Cadet
I'm rewiring all of my dashboard gauges. I understand the G terminals to be ground (black wire), the + terminals to be 12V which I've tied into the switch that controls my running lights (red wire), the S terminals where applicable are senders which connect to the device they are measuring from (I've used green wire for this). My question is the I (ignition?) terminals -- I presume this to be 12V which is hot when the key is turned on. I've used yellow wire to jumper these together, but where do I tie it to?

awthacker

Cadet
Re: wiring gauges/meters

I guess what I'm looking for is a wire which is hot when the key is in the on position. Any help finding this wire would be appreciated. Would it come from the throttle or from the motor? It's a 1985 Johnson 115 with a newer Bombardier throttle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: wiring gauges/meters

You are confused about the "+" and the "I" terminals. They are the same. If the gauge is marked + or I that terminal hooks to the "A" (accessory" terminal on the ignition switch which is active when the key is on. +12 volts for the internal lights goes to the NAV/ANC switch.