year of manufacture by serial number only

nick k

Recruit
I am very new to this, and have just purchased a rib with a johnson 50hp outboard. I'm trying to identify the year of manufacture of the outboard.
I understand that the year can be determined by the model number. Unfortunately, the label on the transom is worn and I can only identify J50BEL. The other digits which I know include the year are not visible.
I do have the full serial number which is G4088704. This is visible on the label on the transom and the disk on the engine block. Can the year be determined on this information? I have searched and searched on the web but no luck!

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: year of manufacture by serial number only

not sure without the last 2 digits

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a dealer can tell you the Serial #s are not published.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look on top of the block, there should be a freeze plug with the model number stamped into it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It is very likely to be from 1996 - J50BELED model.

nick k

Recruit

Thanks very much for your answers. The stamp on the block only has the serial number - not the model number unfortunately. Guess I'll have to contact a dealer and hopefully they'll be able to help. If I get have any luck I'll post the year on here as I notice some guys are collecting year and serial numbers to help with this exact problem.
Just out of interest ezeke, why do you thick a 1996? This could be pretty accurate as my paperwork has year of manufacture for the boat as 1995 - unfortunately no year of manufacture for the engine.

tashasdaddy

it was around that time they started not putting the model #s on the freeze plug, and using stickers on the transom bracket.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 1996 comes from your serial number in relationship to other similar serial numbers of known model years.

Most J/E serial numbers relate to model years so a 1996 model would have first appeared new in 1995.

nick k

Recruit

Thanks for your help once again - think I'll have to assume a 1996 unless I find otherwise. Does fit in nicely with the year of the boat (1995), especially if the 1996 models would first have appeared in 1995. Silly question now.......I take it I would quote 1996 model number (J50BELEDS), not 1995 (J50BELEOD), even though the engine may have appeared in 1995?

tashasdaddy

there is not enough difference in the motors to matter. just when buying parts check that they are the same between both years. there are only suttle changes if any.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would use 1996 model because that is the year the new electronics show up for SystemCheck and that is what the serial number indicates. If you check with BRP, they will be exact about the model.