The perfect boat

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
This weekend I went out of town to work. While I was gone my in-laws borrowed my boat with my wife?s permission. I know what?s mine is hers and what?s hers is mine. Screw that, the boat is MINE. The in-laws brought the boat back with a mangled propeller and a ripped seat. I was going to sell that boat this Wednesday as I recently purchased a second boat.
This incident got me to thinking they need a boat of their own. Since they are not in a position where they can buy one I will build them one.
I?m going to build it with a Mercruiser 470 and somehow use an OMC outdrive. I hear these units have plenty of reliability and great parts support. I will use automotive gas hoses, starter and carburetor since they are so cheap. I want to somehow route the exhaust to empty inside the boat so they can enjoy the great exhaust note of the 470. Fire extinguishers will be replaced with silly string cans since the in-laws are so party oriented. They are really good swimmers so PFD?s wont be necessary. I?m not really sure what type of hull I will use but the salvage should have something suitable. I have zero experience building boats but I think this will be a great way for me to learn.
I hope nobody on this forum that may have a 470 or OMC was offended. I have never owned either so don?t take me seriously.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: The perfect boat

Friends, relatives, and thieves have no chance in borrowing MY boat as I always unhook a few things to prevent use. BTDT A borrowed boat never gets returned in better shape than before the use. Sorry about your unfortunate situation, but I think a the price of a prop and seat repair is a whole lot cheaper than attorney fees for something gone wrong. Good Luck in re-couping the loss.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure sounds like a no winner there.

I agree with the disabling comment unless you're present. When I was young, I'd always turn off the gas and disconnect the spark on my motorcycle so noone could "borrow" it when I wasn't around. Thing was, noone ever figured out what I'd done nor were quick enough to see me remedy the situation.

IVAZ

Disabling the boat is a great idea. When my kids were younger I would never keep the guns and ammunition in the same place. They are older now and respect the firearms so it?s no longer necessary. I guess I will treat the boat and in-laws the way I treated my kids.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

You should still always keep guns and ammo sepearte, If someone gets it and shoots someone, it is your ***.

I just keep a trigger lock on my pistol. With ammo seperate.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Don't forget...there is a big difference between in-laws and outlaws.

Outlaws are wanted people :eek:

IVAZ

Keep guns and ammo separate? I keep them loaded. Heck we almost have one in every room that?s kept loaded. My kids have been shooting them under supervision since they were five years old. I know that wont prevent an accident but they are not stashed where they would fall on you. All of the family knows where they are hidden at. My kids know what the guns are capable of. It sounds kind of crazy but we do it a little different in Texas.

zach103

Commander

Keep guns and ammo separate? I keep them loaded. Heck we almost have one in every room that?s kept loaded. My kids have been shooting them under supervision since they were five years old. I know that wont prevent an accident but they are not stashed where they would fall on you. All of the family knows where they are hidden at. My kids know what the guns are capable of. It sounds kind of crazy but we do it a little different in Texas.

Hey its your house i can't tell you what to do other than to be safe.. but i really do like that idea of that new boat.. i like the silly string idea lol made me actually laugh out loud.. i can just imagine someone trying to put on a fire with the silly string "G*DDAM* JUNK WONT EVEN PUT OUT THIS STUPID FIRE WHAT THE F**K" LOL

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wife would have to pry the boat keys out of my dead hand before any relative borrows my boat!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I wish I lived in Texas, Up in the Liberal East we can't breath without permission.

You have to have a death threat against you in order to get a carry permit here in MD. I guess being a law abiding citizen who wants to be able to drive thru the city without getting robbed is not a good enough reason here.

IVAZ

Here in Texas you can shoot somebody for attemting to steal from your property. You can even shoot somebody for stealing from your neighbor. I would not shoot someone for stealing unless they were in my house. If they were outside stealing I would just call the cops.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Just trade up to perfect wife and and in laws...............problem solved.;);):)

204 Escape

Ensign

Borrow my boat.......... ??

BORROW MY BOAT.................... ??

You'd have a better chance of borrowing my toothbrush !!!!!!!!!!!

NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Here in Texas you can shoot somebody for attemting to steal from your property. You can even shoot somebody for stealing from your neighbor. I would not shoot someone for stealing unless they were in my house. If they were outside stealing I would just call the cops.

Also in Florida. All you have to prove is that you felt your life was in danger...anywhere on your property, not just in your house. When the rental house next door had a load of druggies in it I routinely used my 12 ga and popped off a few in the guise of running foxes off our agricultural property. They never crossed my fence line...:D
As far as the boat, kinda makes me sick just reading that. And I bet they jumped right up and offered to pay for the damage too??? doubt it.
No one would be able to get either of my boats started without looking high and low for the safeguards I have used to keep someone from starting them. ;)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

it's as simple as this,
Put a trailer lock on the ball,
they can not tow it, the key is with my truck keys, and they are with me at all times.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, I have one brother-in-law who can borrow my boat. He's super careful with stuff and if he damaged something, he'd get it fixed immediately.

My other brother-in-law? Heck, I wouldn't loan him a ballpoint pen. He'd probably use it to write a bad check. then blame me when the cops arrested him.

IVAZ

Im always learning something new and this week was a lesson for sure. I did put a lock on the trailer last night. What sucks is I dont Know if the gears were damaged since I did have an ss prop. I still have not messed with it to see if its ok. The other crappy part is my friend was going to buy it and take it on vacation with him on wednesday. I told my buddy about it already and suggested he hold off on taking the boat. A vacation at a lake with no boat wont be as good. He only booked a cabin at a lake because he was going to have a boat. Its also too late to reschedule his time off. Sucks.

tallcanadian

Captain

the tongue of my trailer is in two pieces. the small piece with the hitch on it slides in the larger piece, so i can extend my tongue just about 8 feet longer for those hard to get fishing lakes with no launches. when i'm not using my boat, i slide the tongue right out and lock it in my shed. good luck with anyone "borrowing" my boat. or stealing it for that matter.

vintage boat junky

Seaman Apprentice

Borrow my boat?

Sure; just follow these simple steps:
1. When I can get the time off, plan your trip.
2. If renting a cabin, make room for 1 more.
3. Never trailered/launched a boat before? No problem! You will have an experienced boater on hand at all times!

jbjennings

Captain

IVAZ,
Does your wife hide your stuff in the name of "putting it away", and then totally forget where she put it? Then when you go ballistic looking for whatever it is she claims it's all YOUR fault?! Mine does......
But thankfully she knows that I would be waiting with a gun for them to come back (if I couldn't hunt them down while they were still using it) if she were to let her relatives borrow my boat.
She should be placed on the bad wife list for several days and expected to grovel and beg for forgiveness....:redface:
Thing is, my boat is old, my motor is old, and most folks wouldn't even know how to start it. And I like it that way.

Seriously, I like the lock on the hitch lever idea. I may try that one myself.
JBJ