life jackets

Todd j

Seaman Apprentice
I have searched the web hi & lo for camo life jackets to use for hunting waterfowl. There is not much to choose from. I am looking for something with a bit of mesh at the shoulder to allow proper shooting while being able to wear the life vest. Breast pockets are a plus. Zipper or buckles are Okay.

Any one have any suggestions where to look. Tried Stearns, Cabelas, Bass Pro and other online stores.

Todd

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: life jackets

what about the plain canvas fishing vest type, with the pull string co2 cartridge inflater set up?

Todd j

Seaman Apprentice

thought about that, but they dont do much for you if you fall out and are knocked cold. I did find some that looked close to what I want. We will see.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are several auto inflate inflatable vest. sterns is a good one. just throw a camo shirt or jacket over it.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought, self inflaters, tie a length of cord to the pull string, say 4' for example. If you do fall out, it will inflate because you tied the other end to the boat. You can try "Gander Mountain" there cater mostly to waterfowlers.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i myself was looking at the pull string tied to the boat moptor lanyard, when i upgrade the switch, but the problem i forsee with me is forgettig bout the tethers, moving around and killing my motor while inflating the jacket.
another option may be breaking up the outline of the typical life jacket with a water based paint that wouldnt harm the material...

cbavier

Lieutenant

Just a thought, self inflaters, tie a length of cord to the pull string, say 4' for example. If you do fall out, it will inflate because you tied the other end to the boat. You can try "Gander Mountain" there cater mostly to waterfowlers.

If you forget about being tied to or tethered and pull the string accidently. It will inflate and it cost's $25 to re-arm an inflatable. I wear one and you get so used to it. You don't even know you have it on. If you fall in the water. The Automatic inflates within three seconds. The manual all you have to do is pull the cord. All can be inflated by mouth. Why would you feel the need? anyone to tie it to anything?

As far as the Camo life jackets look around Several sporting goods store sell both the Inflatable and the conventional in Camo or Green. I Duck & Goose hunted for 43 years s. Believe me they are out there. You just have to look. One dis-advantage you have now is the Waterfowwl season is over. So... many places have either exhauseted their supply or put them away until next fall. Cabella's, Gander Mountain, Basss Pro Shops all carry Either the solid green or camo life jackets in their catalogs. I have the catalogs here at home I and saw them this morning after reading your appeal. Just be patient and look. I believe it was Cabella's that had one where the shoulders were all mesh.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

try Avery? They are hard to find; they come and go. I got one via DU one year (I lose things). I also found a gray one with mess shoulders; it's the same color as the creek mud that coats me after a day of jump shooting the seaside marshes.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

Just one little question about camo lifejackets. Have you ever tried to spot someone in the water from a helicopter 500 feet off the deck or from a boat several hundred yards away? I hope you put a light on those. That's why most are bright colors. Camo is made so you can't be seen.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Just one little question about camo lifejackets. Have you ever tried to spot someone in the water from a helicopter 500 feet off the deck or from a boat several hundred yards away? I hope you put a light on those. That's why most are bright colors. Camo is made so you can't be seen.

Most Duck hunting is done in water you can wade in. Marshes to be exact. The Life jacket is for safety mainly while the boat is under way and getting to and from the blind. At least this is true in Michigan. There are exceptions of course but that is not the rule.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a camo life vest from the local Runnings[true value] hardware for around 12$

I'd suggest you check local hardware and other stores. Wal-Mart?

hckplyers

Seaman Apprentice

I thought I saw some at Gander Mountain and all of there pdf's are on sale as well. I'm in the Madison, Wi area.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cabellas stock # IK-941736

Its CG approved and comfortable to wear.
#$29.95

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

They do have jacket type pfd's too, you wear them like a regular jacket. Coast regulated and we can wear them on the river too (towboating)