Terry ABF floor repair/rebuild

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Terry ABF floor repair/rebuild

one more -
HPIM1046.jpg
One Phenomen that I have noticed is if you cut a piece of material (in an effort to pre-kit) is something always changes ( taking the material out then later putting it back in) between all those careful cuts you made and it doesn't quite fit as precisely as you had hoped why the heck is that????:confused:

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: More progress- I have prepped the rear casting deck for re-installation. Pics show the first trial fitting -whew- ! it still fits!!! Have to remove it to attach the blocks on the left side for the rear live well drain tubes to pass thru. This is gonna be difficult to reinstall in the process I need to do.
HPIM1054.jpg
HPIM1055.jpg
HPIM1056.jpg
HPIM1057.jpg
HPIM1058.jpg
HPIM1059.jpg

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

More pics:
HPIM1060.jpg
It is getting hot here- hard to work the resin quick enough :mad:

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the rear casting deck tabbed in/basically installed. Still have to finish glassing it in all the way around.
HPIM1061.jpg
HPIM1062.jpg
HPIM1063.jpg
HPIM1064.jpg
HPIM1065.jpg
HPIM1066.jpg

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

more pics :
HPIM1067.jpg
HPIM1068.jpg
HPIM1069.jpg
HPIM1070.jpg
HPIM1071.jpg
Now , here is something I hardly ever seen discussed here - That is-How do you get access to your boat? I have been using concrete blocks to stand on to make life easier to get in and out and for more accessability to componets when working from the side.
HPIM1072.jpg

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yippee!!!- Finally got the rear casting deck reinstalled and glassed in. now the attention turns to the cap. The dash area had an issue with the wood which was rotten and allowing the steering to wander while turning. I flipped it upside down and replaced the dash reinforcement wood plus the throttle control reinforcement wood as well as the front pad area ( where the trolling motor mounts wood too. Much to easy to get to right now. Then, with some help, positioned the cap on top of the hull getting ready to dry fit first then reinstall.
HPIM1087.jpg
HPIM1088.jpg
HPIM1089.jpg
HPIM1090.jpg
HPIM1091.jpg
HPIM1094.jpg

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cap is on for the first test fitting.This will be temporary > I am checking to make shure nothing major has changed since it was removed. So far, it fits untill...... wait for it...... a glitch with the transom. Seems I made a slight snafu when I made the replacement cut out of the wood. The issue is ( or was) that the wood on the transom was rotten so badly( around the top) and shrunken that I had difficulty determining exactly how tall it was originally-I had to make a best guess What else ya gonna do?) and thusly I ended up making the transom 5/16" too tall. :eek: In reality, what ended up happening was the wood was only about 1/8" too tall by itself and then I glassed it over on the top as it previously it appeared to not been done that way and, it ended up at the 5/16' mark. I have two options as I see it. either cut the transom down ( really don't want to do) OR, cut the lip off the cap that rests on top of the transom so it will set where it needs to. I am apprehensive about option one because it would be a lot of work and option two because I am concerned with the possible structural weaking of the cap without the lip- I am not shure how important it is for it to remain. I was tired from working late last nite and did not want to jump to conclusion.;) anybody have an opinion here?
HPIM1109.jpg
HPIM1112.jpg
HPIM1110.jpg
HPIM1111.jpg

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gads- it has been hot here! made progress despite the hot weather. The cap is attahed permanently and sanding,sanding,sanding. I decided to cut the lip off the cap so it would fit the transom correctly. I am working on filling small holes,low places and repairing damage.
HPIM1117.jpg
HPIM1116.jpg
HPIM1115.jpg
HPIM1114.jpg
HPIM1113.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking great. I think that's going to really turn out awesome. Great work! My vote was going to be for not cutting the cap but it looks like it turned out fine.

Willyclay

Captain

I was impressed early-on with your workmanship. Once I saw the cleco fasteners, then it all became clear to me. Great thread. Can't wait to see the finished project!

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys- I appreciate the encouragement. I think I am in the 14th stage of denial : I will have it on the water before the kids graduate from high school,then before I retire, then before they land a man on mars,then hopefully before the sun finally explodes!! >not that bad yet... hehe... just seems like it sometimes...:D I was able to get the cap back on accurately enough to line up the drain holes on the back of the transom with the holes on the cap where the original drains for the area in front of the motor were originally drilled -the 1 inch holes.

boomer2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wow! The way you work with wood you must be a fine carpenter. This is a project and a half! Very good work is all I can say and thanks for sharing this project thru each step, you my friend are a man's man. I think I'm as excited to see the finished product as you must be.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

looks great!!

i just hope mine comes out that good................ i dont even hae my transom torn out yet only the floor and foam.

i see your from the tulsa area, we may see each other on the water someday .............. the sooner the better, you know what i mean ;).

just few weeks ago i was going fishing every chance i got............ now i get fiberglass all over me every chance i get :D:D

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks boomer2, I , however, do not consider myself a "fine carpenter" more like -"wood butcherer" ;) Metal is more my favorite medium to work in. Thanks for the encouragement. David r- I do hope we can meet out on the water someday soon- seems like there are hardly any I boaters around here. :) I only wished I had started it sooner.:rolleyes:

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The top is sanded and ready for refinishing, but now I have turned it over.Time to repair the bottom in a few places and sand it for refinish. Some PO had done a poor job repairing the keel and had basically just slopped some resin and cloth without prepping it at all- a lot of it just peeled right up just using the fingers- some stuck really well which *amazed* me. Luckily, I had most of the means to turn it over but, that doesn't mean it wasn't without some uneasyness- having it *hang* there is always a risk. I opted to use some dollies we have at the shop to put it on with some minor modifications to them to suit my needs. The upside is the boat will be easy to move in and out and around , the downside is they (the dollies) are kinda a little tall and I still have to use concrete blocks to stand on to reach. I could have cut them all down but..... too much work and besides, they have a purpose that needs them like that and the metal 2x4's I put on them are just tacked welded and can be removed easily. It will work out ok.
HPIM1126.jpg
HPIM1127.jpg
HPIM1128.jpg
HPIM1129.jpg
HPIM1130.jpg
HPIM1131.jpg

Trapper55

Cadet

Good job Terry. I just started on my Tom Boy fishing boat with only 3/4 of the floor ripped out and all the foam. Hope to get the rest and transom out this weekend. Are you putting foam in or did I miss it?

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks trapper, Re;foam,I opted for not reinstalling it. You should start a thread on yours as well and BTW, welcome to I boats!:D

Willyclay

Captain

D., when launch-time approaches, you might not be too specifc in your thread. After more clearly seeing your "workshop" in the latest pictures, I think there are some forum members including me who would slip out to Tulsa while you are fishing and disassemble that building. Wouldn't be too hard with a forklift to assist reaching the high places and load the truck. I'm kidding, of course! Great pictures.