Prop Swap Question

JB25VIP

Seaman
First off i would like to say that i really do not know a whole lot about props other than the very basics.

But i was wondering....My dad's boat has a 78' mercruiser 5.0 and he has a stainless steel 3 blade prop on it. He doesn't use the boat and probably never will again since we all left the nest.

My question is i was thinking about snatching his prop and putting it on my boat but i don't know if it will fit correctly. My merc outdrive is an alpha 1 gen 2. I do know that my 97' gen 2 is not the same as a 78' obviously but does anyone know if the props are made the same/and will interchange? i have an aluminum 3 blade and i think his has a steeper pitch which is what i'm looking for.

Can anyone give me any advice, or is there anything else i need to find out first to be able to know if his prop will fit the same on my outdrive? THANKS!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop Swap Question

but does anyone know if the props are made the same/and will interchange?

Ayuh,... It's the Same...

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a great web site for props http://www.propmd.com/c-185-mercruiser-sterndrives-boat-propellers.aspx click on the year and drive package and see whats available. I purchased a used SS prop of ebay last year. I also was not 100% sure on compatibility. I called Mercruiser Propellers direct at 405/743-6566 and asked. Have the model/serial # off the prop ready.

By the way my first boat was a 1998 VIP Vixen 20 foot bowrider!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What are you trying to accomplish? What is your present prop size, max rpm and speed?What is your dads boat and your boat.each motor, each hp?