Alpha one: why remove outdrive?

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice
1998 Mercruiser 135 hp, Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive.

Manual says to grease gimbal bearing, and spline. This can be done by the grease nipples/zerks, without having to take off the outdrive. But the manual mentions 'checking alignment' and to remove the outdrive every few years... I've had the boat for three years, and don't know how long it was before this was done last (if ever). Since everything seems to be working fine, why would I go to all that work of removing and reinstalling the outdrive?

I looked at this post (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=280566&highlight=alpha+one+gimbal) and I guess it scared me!

Thanks for any help:)

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha one: why remove outdrive?

You should remove the drive every couple of years to check the bellows for damage, wear, tears, dry rot, etc etc etc. You should grease the splines and shaft of the drive which you can not do through the zerks. Finally you should check the engine alignment periodically as the engine settles with time and this can lead to it falling out of perfect alignment.

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I'll need that alignment tool to do the alignment? Man, it looks like it's gonna be a lot of work. ugh.

chiefalen

Captain

Doesn't have to be, you can take it somewhere and have a pro do it.

What is it 6 nuts, 2 more for the rams and yank it off, 50 bucks for the bar on e-bay and a new gasket 8-15 bucks, any west marine has them.

Grease the splines look at the u - joint and pay attention to the rubber, look at the gimbel, and see and clean out what gunk is in the boot, this is important stuff .

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If you don't want to do this, or pay to have it done, then you really should re-think if an I/O power package is right for you. They are maintenance intensive machines, they can last a LONG time but not if not maintained. You want low maintenance, get an outboard. And even then, with today's modern outboards, you need a pro for anything beyond simple maintenance (any real repairs) because they are much more complex than the carbed OBs of old.

I have a 21 year old OMC Cobra used in salt water for about half that time (moored in it for 6 months/year) and it still runs and shifts well because it has had regular maintenance. I pull the drive each fall to check the bellows, gimble and u-joints. You also want to grease the splines, gimble and ujoints. And check the input shaft seal, shift linkage, etc. That's what it takes to keep the drive system reliable. The outboard has none of this stuff. And it's simpler to winterize by far, but they are much more expensive up front.

chiefalen

Captain

Lou this last post should be a sticky. Well said.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Since everything seems to be working fine, why would I go to all that work of removing and reinstalling the outdrive?

Because if you don't remove the sterndrive periodically, the excess grease will harden on the shaft on both sides of the gimbal bearing, then the sterndrive won't come out.

seamanben

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'm gonna do it this afternoon. I asked the Merc mechanic if I needed an alignment rod tool and he said 'don't bother'. So I guess I'll just pull it out, clean everything, remove hardened grease and add the new grease and the new drive/bell housing gasket set.

Thanks,
Ben

Bondo

Staff member

I asked the Merc mechanic if I needed an alignment rod tool and he said 'don't bother'.

Ayuh,... No Surprise there,... If the alignment is out,+ the coupler fails,... It'll be Money in His pocket...

havasuboatman

Ensign

You should remove the drive every couple of years to check the bellows for damage, wear, tears, dry rot, etc etc etc. You should grease the splines and shaft of the drive which you can not do through the zerks. Finally you should check the engine alignment periodically as the engine settles with time and this can lead to it falling out of perfect alignment.

Every 100 hours or 1 year. It's how you find the problems before there is damage. Read your owners manuel. That is all included in your annual service.