Pee Hole not peeing

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I JUST replaced my impeller on my 1980 40hp 2cyl merc. and after I was done the water did not shoot out in a nice stream like it is supposed to. I then had been running it in a bucket while doing some throttle work for a couple weeks and it gradually got to the point where the water just trickled out. Like an idiot I decided to put it in the water b/c I was super eager to fish and by the time we got back there was no water coming out the pee hole at all. We were having trouble keeping it going due to a fuel issue or something luckily so I don't believe it had too much of a chance to overheat. Maybe once it got hot enough to almost over heat. (Is that super bad??)

Anyhow what is the deal? I just replaced the impeller. Should I have replaced the housing too. Its a ***** to take apart but it looks like I am going to have to take a look at it to see if it is all chewed again. If it is, what is the explanation? Literally there was only maybe 30 minutes of run time (IF THAT) with the new impeller.

Also on top of this we could not keep the motor running unless I squeezed the primer bulb every 4 to 5 seconds. Are these issues related? If not what is going on there?

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Pee Hole not peeing

Hi,

first, please try to don't double post, as it could be confusing.

Yes, it could be very bad if you run it for 30 mins without cooling. You'll definitely have to check your compression. Did your overheat alarm ever beep?

As for the impeller, did you rotate the shaft clockwise when you put the upper pump body on? Are you sure you don't forgot the key?

mthieme

Captain

I was thinking the key too. In any event, it has to come apart again.

On the bulb - you need a fuel pump kit.

Was this motor sitting around for a while by chance?

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry bout double post.

Yah it was sitting for a while I believe. I bought it from someone else.

The 30 minutes of run time was not all at the same time. The motor never really ran for more than a few minutes at a time. No Beep.

Yes I did rotate the shaft as I put the impeller in the housing and greased it too. I believe I put the key in as it was supposed to also.

So do i just replace the gaskets for the fuel pump or does the pump itself need replaced?

mthieme

Captain

Just the gasket for the pump...it comes as a kit.

Save yourself a trip....pickup the carb kit and some fuel line too.
If it's been sitting, this is the rest of the rubber under the cowl you'll be replacing next.

saumon

Lieutenant

So do i just replace the gaskets for the fuel pump or does the pump itself need replaced?

only the gaskets and diaphragm.

As for the impeller. Remove the L/U again, chek if the impeller isn't damaged, if it turn as you rotate the driveshaft and if so, the water passages may be clogged upward.

On mine, it's not uncommon that pieces of junk get trapped right at the peehole. Cut the tie-wrap, remove the black fitting from the hose, and blow through it backward.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Saumon,

Have you ever ran your motor for a few minutes w/o proper water circulating, am I going to have some fdd up pistons?

saumon

Lieutenant

Saumon,

Have you ever ran your motor for a few minutes w/o proper water circulating, am I going to have some fdd up pistons?

Yes, when an impeller burst and the overheat alarm went on.

Only way to tell if internal damages have been done is by a compression check.

Maybe not so damaged if you're lucky. As an example, on mine, it still run fine and strong, but comp drop 25 psi on a piston (90-112-114 versus 115-112-114 before), i still have to open it to check, wich will happen soon. If i'm lucky enough, maybe i only broke a ring. If not, i'm good to rebore at least the first cyl and go oversize.

But, as i told you, first check you peehole fitting, then have a comp gauge and check readings.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I had a chance to do some troubleshooting.

Compression is good. 160 and 160 psi. (I was amazed at this)

I tried to blow through the pee hole hose but I can't. I removed all the hoses that go to the block and they are fine so the clog is in the motor or in the lower part of the motor i guess. I am not sure where it is clogged but I could use some advice as to how to blow through. I don't have a compressor or a pressure washer and just blowing with my mouth is never going to work. Any ideas?

BTW where is this alarm that is supposed to beep when this thing is overheating? Cuz I don't think it is working.