Shift cable Questions

Fellow boaters,
I have been reworking my outdrive area and decided to change the shift cable. Haut Medoc said to lube it well and so I decided to take it a step further and buy a new quicksilver shift cable with support tube. Well, my original inner cable is a little larger in diameter than the new one and the old cable seems to have an armor like wrapping around it. The new cable has the wire strands showing with the ends fused together making it stiff at the ends.

When the old cable is installed into the black cable sheath, and the adjust tube with the jamb nut is put on, the cable fits nice and there is no way a support tube can be installed. Why is this original cable bigger than the replacement Quicksilver cable? The old cable fits just right into the cable guide where it attaches by the 2 set screws, as does the new one. Where there two different sized cables? One designed to eliminate the support tube? Because this boat did not have a support tube and it looks original. Really confusing. Any professional advice would be great.
Thanks
Doug

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift cable Questions

What drive is this?

Don,
It is a 1991 Alpha, however, it has a Gen II bellhousing and a gen I outdrive
Doug

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure that's even possible.
For one thing, you don't use old and new cable parts. The cable gets replaced as an assembly.

Don,
The reason why I know it is a gen II bellhousing is that I had to buy the smaller shift shaft bushing /seal kit for it. The shift shaft is the old type gen I. The shop close by said there was a lot of interchange of these parts.
Doug

Bondo

Staff member

It is a 1991 Alpha, however, it has a Gen II bellhousing and a gen I outdrive

Ayuh,...

That sounds like a Cobbed up piece a Poo....

I wonder where it goes from gen.I to Gen.II,..??
That's the Major difference between the 2.... The Shifting apparatus...