14' Arkansas Traveler redo

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 14' Arkansas Traveler redo

Well all the exterior has been primered. I am thinking of letting the top aluminum trim stay unpainted. There really is not a need for paint there I don't believe. I worked on that mostly today. I still need to go over that with a finer grit before calling that done. The inside is daunting, but I will get it done. This has been over a month now since I started, but it is progressing.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking of having a carpenter friend install portions of a plywood floor. (in between each seat) I could cover this with boat carpet. Do you think I should add a Thompson's Water Seal or something before adding the carpet? Should I put an adhesive to attach the carpet, or would a staple gun be okay? My gut feeling is an adhesive would be better, and not rust like staples would from underneath the board. I thought the wood floor would also help keep debris out of the bottom of the boat...which is a nightmare to keep from clogging. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. :cool:

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the latest. I had a friend use a reciprocating saw to take the old bolts off the seats...so it will all be replaced. Seems like it will never get done...but a lot has been done if you look at the original pics.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a question about primer for the wood on the transom area. I have sprayed the whole exterior with self etching primer. But I am wondering if that will be okay for the wood area. Should I tape that wood off and spray it with Rustoleum primer...since I thought the self etching primer is for metal? I am a little worried about the paint not adhering to the wood...once I get to that step. The exterior has all been primed. I am doing the final touches on the metal on the interior. A friend will be doing all wood work.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, don't use the etching primer on the transom...use whatever primer is recommended by Rustoleum. Can't remember if Rustoleum is oil-based paint, but I think so. Kilz oil based primer is real good to use. Even premium quality latex paints today offer good water/weather protection for several years...just takes some touch-up when necessary and recoat in a few years. I had an old tinny like that and the previous owner made removable floor panels by screwing tongue-n-goove cedar planks with deck screws to cedar stringers. The stringers went lengthways in the boat bottom and the planks were laid down width-ways. Each was cut just right to fit between the seats so they could be removed to clean out the boat. Made fishing a great experience...motor out to the fav spot, anchor, open up the folding deck chairs between the seats and fish/nap until time to go home or fetch more refreshing beverages. That was a sweet little water wagon...with a 57 Johnson 18 hp on the transom, she would get up and fly.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice. I think I will love this boat when I finally get done with it. :D

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here is the latest pic. I got the wooden seats off, they were rotten. Now it seems that the transom wood will need replacing. I hadn't planned to do that, but it was suggested by a couple of people. I was thinking of marine plywood, but don't know where to get it. They don't sell that at Lowe's or Home Depot. I will also replace the pvc pipe for the wiring, and the styrofoam that goes under the seats.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just started to spray the interior with the gray...looks pretty good. It has two coats already. But I think it will get another coat for good measure. What are the thoughts about using Hex bolts vs. carriage bolts for the transom? Trying to get the transom off has been a major pain because you cannot get a good grip on the carriage bolt head. Most of the bolts came off okay. But some just turned when I tried to get the nuts off. So I used a vise grip on one...but it could mess up the exterior of the boat if it scuffed it up. I am going to enlist some help with a few bolts that are left. Any ideas about the fastener? I would get stainless steel if possible. But if I ever needed to get the bolts back off...a hex bolt just sounds so much easier than a carriage bolt. Ideas?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Use whatever hardware suits you...when you are done coat the ends with 3M 4200 sealer...removeable but still waterproof. I use plain old exterior CDX plywood for transoms and paint them with a good oil or latex-based paint...several coats. Others will tell you to seal the transom plate in epoxy or fiberglass. Depends on your environment, how you use and store the boat, and how much maintenance you want to do. There's so little water/moisture where I live that rot/humidity is not a problem.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Well there is a good deal of heat and humidity where I live. What about the previous question of using hex bolts instead of carriage bolts for the transom? Is there a good reason not to?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I did some work on my boat and used carriage bolts. I was really kicking myself the next year when for reasons I won't get into I had to take it apart again. Do yourself a favor and just use hex.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input on that. Anyone else have an opinion on this as well? I'd like to hear it before I make up my mind. I got the transom off today. It was a bugger. Those last bolts were a pain in the rear. I am also replacing the drain. I was told naval jelly would be the best thing to do for the chrome handles. I have chrome polish, but not a cleaner.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another coat of Smoke Gray for the interior.

The exterior of the stern was painted in Smoke Gray.

I was told to use 3M 4200 to add the transom. Do you think this is the best for a sealant? Also where do you find the Naval Jelly to do the chrome?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Uh, no...I meant use 3M 4200 sealant to cover the heads of whatever bolts and screws secure the transom wood to the boat...to keep them from rusting. Use resin, or glass and resin, or just plain old oil-based paint to seal the wooden transom pad. Looks good...you're making progress.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what I thought you meant, I just didn't say it right I guess. I had planned to attach the sealant to the back of the wood, then attach the transom. The problem with that is the transom wood was a very tight fit. I hope it doesn't mess anything up moving the wood up and down trying to get it to fit right. Would you use this 3M 4200 all the way around the outside seam where it attaches to the boat...like a caulk too? If not I have a marine silicone I bought to put in the new drain. (I bought a brass drain to replace the plastic one)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't use anything to bond/glue the transom wood to the stern as long as you have it bolted on. Just seal the wood with paint, etc., then bolt it on and seal/cover the bolt heads with 3M 4200. Before you bolt the transom pad to the boat, prime the wood pad twice and then apply 2-3 coats of a good exterior paint, or you can seal it with f-glass resin (more $$). I use the 4200 sealant on my drains...dries harder than silicone, more durable too...specially designed for marine applications.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh okay. I misunderstood about the use of the stuff on the back of the wood. So you apply it just on the bolt heads. I had planned to use a couple of good primer coats, and then apply a liberal amount of paint. (before attaching to the boat) How do you apply it on the bolt head to make it look smooth, with a small brush like a nail polish brush? So you do not use anything to caulk around the outside of the wood where it is attached, like a marine silicone? I looked at some cans of stuff at Wal-Mart that could be sprayed on the wood after painting it. Spar Varnish...polyurethane, that kind of thing. I hesitate in using a fiberglass or epoxy, because I would have a fit if I messed it up. I have used epoxy before, and one time it didn't harden right. Another time it had bubbles. This was on a very small application for making flies...as in fly fishing.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Looks good...you're almost to the fun part, flipping it back over on the trailer and refitting the insides to your own tastes.
Note: TV's and video game ports are OPTIONAL, no matter how much the little ones whine.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I found out that you don't paint in the wind if possible. Grit covered the exterior of the boat....I was so angry. I decided to try to use a Clay Bar, and that got off MOST of the grit thank goodness. Then I decided to wax the bottom of the bottom where I had just painted. Hopefully it will hold in my paint job longer. It has been windy or raining just about everyday...and pollen is all in the air. This is a rough time to work on a boat. Still I am pretty pleased with the results so far with the boat. :)