decided on Xbox 360, which model?

ezbtr

Commander
PS3 just too expensive. Do I really need a larger HD(160G)? I understand that you can watch DVD's on these as well? What do the average games cost? Thanks guys, we're replacing our almost 5 yr old broken PS2 :)

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: decided on Xbox 360, which model?

Get the best one they have. I think its the Elite model. The lower end models don't work as well with lots of problems. We got one for our kid and it didn't work right out of the box. When we took it back they said dint any one tell you that one out of three don't work right. I think it has something to do with a cooling fan in the higher end models that the lesser models don't have.

Ask some questions at the store and they should be able to tell you.

Hope this helps.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Get the best one they have. I think its the Elite model. The lower end models don't work as well with lots of problems. We got one for our kid and it didn't work right out of the box. When we took it back they said dint any one tell you that one out of three don't work right. I think it has something to do with a cooling fan in the higher end models that the lesser models don't have.

Ask some questions at the store and they should be able to tell you.

Hope this helps.

What they told you is absolutely untrue. There aren't issues with any of them. I sell 20 to 30 of each model every week and I have never heard what you are talking about.

ezbtr- What are you using it for? If you are just watching movies and playing a few games you don't need a bigger harddrive. If you plan on using it as an extension of a media center PC, then get the biggest harddrive you can. There is no need to spend an extra $100 on the elite if you don't need to. Both the elite and the Pro come with Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones games..........so either way you can get a few starter games for free. For normal use and gameplay....the Pro will work just fine.

Here is a good side by side comparison:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

puddle jumper

Captain

What they told you is absolutely untrue. There aren't issues with any of them. I sell 20 to 30 of each model every week and I have never heard what you are talking about.

Pony i am not kidding you. That is word for word what i was told at Future shop. Plus after some investigation lots of people told me the same thing.This was about a year ago so maybe they fixed the problem. My son was so disappointed he couldn't play Halo 3 after finishing 1&2. So now i have the game (wouldn't take it back) and no way to play it.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

elite just has more add ons, bigger hard drive, game, etc.

You need the hard drive to store custom made maps for games

videos downloaded from netflix - if you have xbox live

Most important - you can download sample games for pretty much every game new and old so you can see what the game is like before you buy it.

i play halo3 online and the online experience is a lot different then the game, however there are a lot of crazies on line.

You can not load games on to the hard drive, that is a recent change to the xbox360 so most games still run of the cd.

The older machines out there do not have the new HDMI ports and drives, so anything new on the shelf should be fine.

My old one died outside of the warranty and i picked up a new one at circuit city for the 10% off. THey are NEVER on sale - there are bundles you find.

You also should pick up 2 pack base charger, so you can take the battery out of the controller and swap for the one in the charger.

I had a ps2 as well, still do, PS3 -sadly no one is buying it...few games specifically for it, and a poor online experience.

tomatolord

ezbtr

Commander

just for games for my son, well ok me too :) just got a nice Sony DVD player last pm for $80, really nice. He has Xbox at his moms, so i figured he could bring them back and forth. Can you upgrade the HD for later expansion?

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

360 will play most of the later xbox games but the 360 games will not run on the xbox

Yes you can always buy the hard drives later

Fyi they are special xbox drives so you can only get them from microsoft

I would go for the pro downloading sample games to try is really worth it

See you on line

Tomatolord

Pony

Rear Admiral

You can buy the harddrives at most retail stores. I know we carry them, and if we do I assume our subsidiary up by you "Future Shop" does as well.

pj- I really honestly have not heard of the 360 issues that Future shop told you about, not saying its not true though. I know when similar problems have occured with other platforms the systems were returned to the vendor until replacements without the issues arrived. I remember there being some issues when 360 first switched to hdmi, but they were fixed almost immediately......and we processed exchanges outside of the return policy to help eliviate the problem. Maybe our suppliers our different? not really sure.